Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How do boost contollers work without tunning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do boost contollers work without tunning?

I'm guessing you connect the contollers to the wastegate somehow and it regualtes how much boost can be made... So my questions are

1. Do you need a specific wastegate to use with a boost controller or will any work?

2. How can you raise the boost without a retune? Raising the boost is going to throw off the fuel ratio and everthing else... So how do people run on the street and just up the boost without having different tunning?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any external waste gate will work.. duel port

they tune the car for high boost.. high as there willing to push it.. then on the street turn it down.. or sat night racing turn it back up..
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some even buy handhelds that you can upload tunes into and turn the boost down then run a tune to correspond with that boost level. Then like chevelle said, on saturday nights put the higher boost tune back in and up the boost level.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Tune for 20psi, and set boost controller to only see 10 or 15 for DD, then have 20psi as your kill mode.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to be getting to setting up my Holley hp efi and that's what I plan on doing just setting my map tables to 20psi or how ever high and just turn the boost down or up when needed
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
any external waste gate will work.. duel port

they tune the car for high boost.. high as there willing to push it.. then on the street turn it down.. or sat night racing turn it back up..
internal wastegate will work too, or external limiting the pressure etc etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
I'm guessing you connect the contollers to the wastegate somehow and it regualtes how much boost can be made... So my questions are

1. Do you need a specific wastegate to use with a boost controller or will any work?

2. How can you raise the boost without a retune? Raising the boost is going to throw off the fuel ratio and everthing else... So how do people run on the street and just up the boost without having different tunning?
1. Any wastegate will work.

2. ALL engines must be tuned properly for all operating conditions they will see.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
Some even buy handhelds that you can upload tunes into and turn the boost down then run a tune to correspond with that boost level. Then like chevelle said, on saturday nights put the higher boost tune back in and up the boost level.
That sounds like a cool idea^. I don't like the idea on running around on a tune that isn't specificly for what boost I'm running at that time.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
That sounds like a cool idea^. I don't like the idea on running around on a tune that isn't specificly for what boost I'm running at that time.
no offence but it sounds great to people that dont know what they are doing.

if your car is tuned properly you dont need to worry about anything.

say 11.8afr on 10psi with 18deg of timing.
and 11.0 afr on 18psi with 14deg of timing.

and the load cells at cruise and idle are tuned for their job and specific needs also.

you just turn up the boost up and down when you want, or hell, use a leash C02 boost controller and feed in boost as you go down the track.

most people might be more familiar with hand helds from fords like turbo cobras, where it seems like people have trouble tuning them because of the shitty voltage based MAF and they would actually have a separate tune for 10psi and 20psi because the computer and scaling and voltage based blow through maf is a piece of ****... in my opinion lol.

but yes, people ask me this **** all the time when i tune their truck or something, can you give me an economy tune, and a power tune?

they dont realize those are polar opposite parts of the map, the car has its own fuel demands cruising and while you are flooring it, and you might have guessed it the tune is different there too, no need for uploading **** with a handheld.

i hope im not too offputting with all this, if you don't know what i mean let me know.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah

LOL, x2
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make that x3 lol
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah

and the load cells at cruise and idle are tuned for their job and specific needs also.

you just turn up the boost up and down when you want, or hell, use a leash C02 boost controller and feed in boost as you go down the track.

most people might be more familiar with hand helds from fords like turbo cobras, where it seems like people have trouble tuning them because of the shitty voltage based MAF and they would actually have a separate tune for 10psi and 20psi because the computer and scaling and voltage based blow through maf is a piece of ****... in my opinion lol.

but yes, people ask me this **** all the time when i tune their truck or something, can you give me an economy tune, and a power tune?

they dont realize those are polar opposite parts of the map, the car has its own fuel demands cruising and while you are flooring it, and you might have guessed it the tune is different there too, no need for uploading **** with a handheld.

i hope im not too offputting with all this, if you don't know what i mean let me know.
No offence taken at all, that's why I'm here asking questions . I am far from knowing what I need to know before starting my kit, but I think I will be ready when the kit comes in. I understand that there is a drivability tune and a wot tune. I have watched my tuner street tune my car...

I guess I really don't get what you're saying above though. With EFI live you could have the car WOT street tuned on 8psi and than tune it on say 15psi for and put that on a scanner and plug that tune in and put it in when you wanted to run the 15psi?

Okay now to this

OR WAIT. Are you saying the boost contoller can save 2 different tunes on it? And when you select the boost level you want it will send that info to the computer?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Main fueling is VE vs RPM.

Zero to 100 kpa are populated for close to zero correction. Above that starts your boosted region. You would run it through and tune it at base spring pressure and dial in your air fuel/timing. Then bump up the boost a few pounds and dial in the air/fuel/timing at that level, so on and so forth. When your tune is finished all part throttle is close to zero fuel trim and anything in the boosted range will have an actual air/fuel ratio matching your commanded air/fuel ratio.

From that point on, any time you are in any region you are tuned, everything is correct, you just have to make sure you have the proper octane fuel at higher boost levels.

This way, you run it up to whatever it liked on 93 octane, add race fuel and you can then switch the boost controller up to whatever you tuned it for on race fuel. There is no need for multiple programs to achieve this.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

You tune your car for whatever you want to run. Say 18 PSI.

Well to get to 18PSI you have to go thru 1-17.

All the boost controller does is limit what boost you will see.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Makes sense. So the load cells are all tuned at once, and all your doing is using the controller to limit boost aka cells......but the ones your still using aka the boost your still running, your basically still tuned for? Do I have that right, because I was thinking of this the other day when I saw a twin 62mm svt cobra with an eboost on the pillar.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM

you are absolutely correct, everything between is tuned, from 1-30psi you just use the controller to adjust the level of boost, or power to the tires.

so to answer your question easily

"How do boost contollers work without tunning?"

short smartass answer is, they dont work without tuning, they just allow you to adjust your power level easily.

Quick Reply: How do boost contollers work without tunning?