Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Lifter Tick/Bent Pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter Tick/Bent Pushrod?

I have a 2000 V8 that was in storage for 6 years. I pulled it out of storage a few years ago and have racked up a total of 250 miles since. That said, it has what I think is a lifter tick or maybe a bent pushrod. I cannot remember 100% if it di this before I put it away, but I don't think it did. I do remember bouncing the rev limiter a few times missing the 1-2 shift when I was younger. It basically has a constant ticking/tapping and is noticeable at idle. It increases with RPM, but anything over about 2k rpms and the noise gets drowned out by the exhaust and general noise. Runs fine, just ticks/taps. I can't tell if it is better/worse on startup as the car has the startup piston slap (and has since I drove it off the lot).

Is there a way I can check this without pulling a bunch of stuff off?

TIA to anyone who can help.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My car does it too... just a typical top end lsx noise after age i guess. I never noticed mine til last year. I use sea foam and mystery oil religiously. My other lsx car has newer oem tp end and makes same noise... so hydr. roller typical top end noise i say, as long as it's not loud, slight tick is okay...
Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Lifter Tick/Bent Pushrod?