Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The guy I bought my used short block from removed one of the main caps..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The guy I bought my used short block from removed one of the main caps..

I just picked up a low mileage 5.3 short block recently, but the guy I bought it from decided to remove the #2 main cap to check the condition of the main bearings. I wouldn't feel comfortable with just torquing that one cap back down to spec, and from what i've read the main bolts are TTY. What would be the correct way of putting this thing back together?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read a bunch of threads where guys reused the main cAps bolts...unless just to be safe you can try gmpartsdirect.com or Texas speed but I believe you have to buy the set...
I never have personally had to replace them but someone else will chime in...
Old 11-23-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into a similiar problem, and after searching for days on here, I decided to just re-use the main hardware, and havent had any problems.

I bought a used long block only to find the front cam bearing tore up. Decided to replace them all, and stripped the block completely.. Once properly cleaned up, the engine was re-assembled and hasnt had any kind of issues what-so-ever. Probably 10k+ miles on it with a decent sized cam, and other mods.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really worried about the hardware itself, I will probably end up replacing it just in case. I'm just wondering if I will need to take off all the other caps and torque them all back down in the right sequence, or if I can get away with just torquing the one cap he took off.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head bolts are torque-to-yield and designed to be used only once (they've been stretched out already). Main cap bolts are torque-to-angle and can be used more than once (but not more than 3-4 times). So, I'd say you are fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to help out BAD200TA! It's great having knowledgeable help when needed.

Quick Reply: The guy I bought my used short block from removed one of the main caps..