Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers powered by headunit, should I switch them back to monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speakers powered by headunit, should I switch them back to monsoon amp

Ok, so I bought my car used a while ago and have plans to upgrade the audio system by putting a sub system in soon. Anyways the previous owner had installed and aftermarket headunit and 4 speakers in the front doors and rear seats. So today I discovered that the guy when he updated this, skipped the monsoon amp and powered the four speakers via the headunit which only puts out 22 watts rms at 4 channels. My question is should I switch it back to the monsoon amp? All the wiring, monsoon amp, and other speakers are still there to switch back...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming that when you say "back seat" you mean the sail panels... the Monsoon amp is sending a bass only signal there. Changing the wires back over into a full range speaker probably won't give the results you are expecting. If you don't mind further butchering things up, you could move the leads from the hatch forward.

Likewise in the doors, you probably have 2-way speakers running off the HU now. The real advantage of using the Monsoon amp would be in a component setup that could take full advantage of the available power from an additional amplified channel.

If the previous owner went through the trouble to make home-runs with speaker wire to those 4 locations, I would be sure to check that the speaker outputs on the HU were still connected to the leads that go back to the Monsoon amp, too.

Read the FAQ and if you still have questions, post again.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info! I looked behind my headunit and it connects through to the back however the guy cut the the front and sail speaker wires and spliced them to his own runs. I'm just gonna leave it like this for now and down the road when i get another amp ill just replace it my way...

Quick Reply: Speakers powered by headunit, should I switch them back to monsoon amp