Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRW Needs a Stroker, LS1 3X3 Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRW Needs a Stroker, LS1 3X3 Suggestions?

Gents,

I finished my fully mamofied 346 and put down 450/400 w/ cats through an A4 and 9". . .but it's too cold and now I cant drive it. . .so I'm thinking stroker. LOL, it never ends.

Ideally I'd like to go LS2/3, but given all the dosh I have on the LS1 setup it seems like a shame to put my mamofied AFR 215s on the bigger bore engines. And everywhere I look it's going to be $5500 minumum to do it and I cannot swing that right now.

So I was thinking I might build a forged 373/383/393. Anyone have any recommendations for doing this relatively cheaply? I'm probably looking for a built shortblock as I dont trust my skills on the bottom. I know the 4.1x stroke doesn't get much love, but I'm only looking for ~25k miles or so, so I am considering it.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to do it "relatively cheaply" then put it off another year.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

"Cheaply" and LS motor are rarely found in the same conversation, just saying. I did a stroker (383) buying the pieces indivdually. I have seen Lunati 4" stroker cranks on ebay for $758 or so and that's cheap, Scat 6.125" I-beams for $279 and piston/ring sets for $675, you can always have a machine shop assemble it for you, there will be machine work and balancing. The alterative....$3500 plus shipping for stroker short block and you DON'T always know what parts are being used or who did the work...good luck
Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you want to do it "relatively cheaply" then put it off another year.
By relatively cheaply I mean relative to a $5500 LS2

Originally Posted by 64post
"Cheaply" and LS motor are rarely found in the same conversation, just saying. I did a stroker (383) buying the pieces indivdually. I have seen Lunati 4" stroker cranks on ebay for $758 or so and that's cheap, Scat 6.125" I-beams for $279 and piston/ring sets for $675, you can always have a machine shop assemble it for you, there will be machine work and balancing. The alterative....$3500 plus shipping for stroker short block and you DON'T always know what parts are being used or who did the work...good luck
$3500 is about the top of my range.

Any comments on going 4.1x stroke welcome, especially from those running it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Displacement needs to be fed to really make it worthwhile. Meaning to get the most of it you are going to need to do more than just the shortblock, at least a larger cam.
incidentals are going to push you over $3500 FAST.

More torque is going to change the characteristics of the converter and you might need to get it adjusted.

I would also not bother with the little bore a larger bore would help the heads breath a little better. Yes a larger bore aluminum block is $$$ and an iron one is heavy but cheap.

If you think a little displacement bump this winter sounds like fun why not to a budget refresh on a 6.0l. The extra bore will help the heads breath a little and it is close enough in displacement the cam will still work. If you decide you don't like the weight on the nose come spring you can start eyeballing the stroker project which will be well over $3500.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Displacement needs to be fed to really make it worthwhile. Meaning to get the most of it you are going to need to do more than just the shortblock, at least a larger cam.
incidentals are going to push you over $3500 FAST.

More torque is going to change the characteristics of the converter and you might need to get it adjusted.

I would also not bother with the little bore a larger bore would help the heads breath a little better. Yes a larger bore aluminum block is $$$ and an iron one is heavy but cheap.

If you think a little displacement bump this winter sounds like fun why not to a budget refresh on a 6.0l. The extra bore will help the heads breath a little and it is close enough in displacement the cam will still work. If you decide you don't like the weight on the nose come spring you can start eyeballing the stroker project which will be well over $3500.
Thank you for the interesting comments. I'm probably not intersted in iron, I think I'd rather wait, car is super heavy already. I hear what you're saying on the big bore, but from what I can see I can have a 383 for 2-3k cheaper than an LS2 by the time its said and done. As for the converter and ancillary stuff, sticking with the LS1 is definitely going to be cheaper, no reluctor or knock conversions, same timing set. I sorta have the other stuff factored in as I have a free restall left. . .cam, well, maybe.

Please tell me where I'm wrong, I'd love to be able to work out an LS2 or 3 for NOT several thousand more The $3500 "budget" is just for the short block, I figure I'll need injectors and a cam in addition at minimum. The trans is on order, FLT L7 from a guy on here.

I did find some deals at Shweinke motors or whatever in MN, also sells on ebay. Looks to be $1k cheaper than everyone else, even on an aluminum block. . .but I'm afraind I might get what I pay for.

Quick Reply: TRW Needs a Stroker, LS1 3X3 Suggestions?