General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window regulator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Window regulator problems?

After searching and reading all the threads regarding power window problems I'm still not seeing anyone with this condition on a fourth gen f body. Replaced motors 8 years ago and they finally got too slow for me so I decided to replace them. During replacement I noticed a lot of back and forward movement in the glass so I looked everything over and also adjusted everything for a nice seal. Still can't get the front/back movement out of it. After re adjusting and looking things over multiple times I finally noticed the arms are loose where they mount to the regulator with that square looking rivet. Has anyone ever encountered this? Guessing I need new regulators? There are no broken tracks or rollers, rivets are not loose, everything is adjusted nice and properly lubed.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they are worn out? I have never encountered a problem that was so bad to make me replace them just from movement back and fourth.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your window moves forward/backward and will shut all the way, then you probably have this common problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...dow-guide.html
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

The roller brackets are not cracked, and the rollers are secure. There is a lot of play in the arms at the scissor point. Only thing left to do is check to see how tight a new one is compared to mine. Dorman or gm for replacement?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
There is a lot of play in the arms at the scissor point.
It would take a nuclear explosion to damage this. Even if it was "loose", its a pin point so you wouldn't have any movement.

You should next check for this other common problem before popping out the regulator: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have looked at a lot of threads. That one included before I decided to post a thread of my own. The rivets are not loose,the holes are not elongated and there has not been any handywork done. Car is 16 years old,and I have owned it for the last twelve. Can't expect this stuff to last forever. Unfortunately I think they are just wore out and will require replacement. I'll put some new ones in and update the results when complete.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Interesting. Something is definitely wrong. I'll look forward to what you find in there.

Quick Reply: Window regulator problems?