Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does anyone know where the turn signal relay is in these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know where the turn signal relay is in these cars?

I think I might have a faulty turn signal relay. Especially in bad weather my turn signals (both of them) will blink irregularly or stop blinking entirely. They'll light up when I hit the switch, but they just don't blink.

I looked in the fuse panels for one of those "old-school" relay plugs but couldn't find one. Anyone have any idea where the relay is for these guys?

It's a 99 TA if that helps.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Remove the shin panel under the steering wheel and you'll see them. There is one for the left/right signal and one for the hazards (so two units total).

If you only have problems in the rain, then they are probably not the source of your problems.

--VIP1
Old 04-13-2004, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

It's not only in the rain...they've been a little erratic lately. It's just today they've been really "buggy" and it happened to be raining.

I don't know what else could cause BOTH turn signals to go on the fritz in the same way.

Is it a GM part, or can I get it at an auto store?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem youre describing, replaced my flasher a couple weeks ago and it solved it completely, the flasher is an el12 and you can get it at pep boys autozone etc. the turn signal flasher in on the right side of the steering wheel, its a silver cylinder hooked to a yellow plug, you cant see the cylinder from where it sits but if you pull the yellow plug out youll be able to see it. 5 minute job, even for an idiot like me. the shin panel under the steering wheel has two different types of fasteners so be ready for that. i believe its a phillips head and a 7mm wrench. the new flasher will blink differently than the old one, this is normal.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The Trident EL12 is an electronic flasher. The stock flashers are thermal. That is why they blink differently. If you want to use LEDs then you have to use an electronic flasher. Otherwise you can just get another thermal flasher to replace your old one. Either way, they are cheap and available at just about any auto parts store.
Remember, there are two flasher units (one for signal and one for hazard).

--VIP1