Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Vortec Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Vortec Installation

Installing a 5.3 Vortec in my 72' Chevelle. Keeping the truck intake and accessories. Trying to decide if a stock position mounting plate will work or if I need to move the engine forward or backward. Using a Holley pan and will probably use short headers. Also plan to use the stock tall narrow S/B engine mounts if they will raise the motor enough to clear the center link.

Thanks for any help.

Skydude
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What transmission are you going to be using ? And if you are going to keep the transmission flange is the OEM Location or move it ?

If you leave it, then you will need 1" setback to move the engine back to meet the Trans Flange, if you use standard plates, then you will have to move the Trans forward 1".

With the Holley pan, you can mount the engine either Standard or 1" setback location. But suggest you consider what type of Headers you have and what they were designed to use for Mounts.

It will be close to see if you clear both the oil pan to Crossmember and the Truck intake to Hood.

The T/N mount might not add any height if used with the T/N stands, as the Frame mounts are different from the S/W mounts. if you use a S/W Frame stand and a T/N mount, you get about 7/16" height added. What I did, I used the Tall Narrow mounts with the Short Wide mounts, but I narrow them to fit.

I recall someone posted in a thread the comparison of the SBC/BBC and the T/N and S/W stands/mounts. but i can't find it..

BC
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help.

I will be using a 4L60E trans. I think I have found a mounting plate that offers both stock and 1" setback so I hope it will work.
I think I will try the S/B tall mounts that are on the car first then change if they don't give enough heigth (of course I have to make sure the intake and Alternator clear the hood. My hood is an SS. The main thing I am concerned with is the center link hitting the pan.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dirty dingo mounts are the ones many are using, they are adjustiable in all directions.

I you might run in to issue with the mounting bolt not aligning.. if so.. i would suggest you bolt the plates to the engine, engine mount and stands.. then drop the engine with them on.. mark the hole location of the stands. then remove and drill / mod any holes as needed.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

I think my mounts and engine plates are going to work but will need a smaller PS pulley.
Like to have a metal pulley rather than a plastic. Anyone know of a metal pulley that will fit on my 05' vortec and be smaller in dia.?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

this will interest you
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-pics.html

Quick Reply: 5.3 Vortec Installation