Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

using my Porter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using my Porter Cable

i bought my PC recently and i have a few questions on how to use it..
1. how often do you put polish/wax on the pad?
2. how big of an area do you do at a time and how long does it take?
3. when polishing what speed(s) are best and what type of motion should i use?
4. what is the best way to clean the pads?
5. if i do not get the results i am looking for (which i probably wont since i dont have the good stuff yet) should i use more than one application?
6. should i take the polish/ wax off with the PC as well?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you have to work with? I just got mine last week and have learned a ton. Get the menzerna polish and pad kit from properautocare and your selection of sealant. I chose Wolfgang, see my pics I just posted.

If superbuick doesnt beat me to it, I'll post with some of his advice and advice from some other people I've gathered from autopia and detailcity. properautocare has a bunch of tips on their site.

for now...
1. after the product isnt working anymore and drying
2. around 2sq ft or less. I do about 1.5sqft at most
3. I use 4.5 -5 with the intensive polish, up -down, left right, and diagonal, along with figure 8 somehwat
4. soap and warm water
5. with IP you can apply several times, but working the area (less than 2sq ft) for around 5 minutes or so got the best results. I would periodically mist the area with water to keep the IP going.
6. You can, but I'd recommend GOOD microfiber towels. such as pakshak

Be sure to clay first. Makes it easier on the product and pads.

Did you get the optional velcro backing plate?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used my Porter Cable this past weekend to wax my car. I don't think I achieved the level of shine that you guys post about, but it was so much easier to wax the car using the machine. I wish I had the time to do the whole 3 step process, but all I had time for was Meguires Gold class. The polisher hid 90% of the swirl marks. This is so much better than waxing by hand!
PS: I didn't use the method Brandon posted about, (but I will next time thank you Brandon). I waxed a body panel at a time. But it didn't do a bad job. I don't think you can screw anything up with this machine. I was pleasently waiting for a post to come up about this because I was so impressed with the results.

Tony
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Brandon - You hit the nail on the head.

Tony - the reason you didn't get the results is because you didn't have time for the polishing step. Don't be discouraged. Next time you get the time try working that step like Brandon mentioned (it takes some time, but once its done, its DONE). I think you'll find that the great experience you had with just the Gold Class is about 30% rather than 90% - it gets ALOT better with proper prep.

Good luck - glad to hear people are having some good results here with a variety of products.

-Tom
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
- it gets ALOT better with proper prep.
Damn it could get better???
I can't imagine what she'd look like as I think I got the shine pretty good with just the wax. Wow, I gotta find a weekend where I can strip off all the old wax and go at her full force with polish and wax like you guys suggested.
Then I'll have to go buy a dig. camera to show the results.

Thanks again both of you,
Tony
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tony - no problem at all
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I owe most of my results to SuperBuick. I catch on quick when it comes to perfecting an image. My goal is to not be able to see ANY marks at night under flourescent lighting. (such as gas stations, Sonic, etc.)

I REALLY want to wetsand and lay down a few more coats of clear, but I don't want to do it on the weekend and drive 60ish miles round trip to work and back next month (got a promotion, starting there in a month....)

Quick Reply: using my Porter Cable