Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system question?

ok so i am doing an ls swap in an old truck and i had to buy a new aluminum radiator n everything but anyway my questiions is the steam line that comes from under the throttle body on where to hook to.ive tried searching but cant find anything good.i will be running an overflow tank connecting rite under the cap,i have no other spots on the radiator to hook the line to.do i need to have a fitting or somthing welded to the radiator somewhere? any help thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

You can have a bung welded on the radiator or you can drill and tap your wp for a fitting.I personally run it to the radiator. Its located there to help degas the cooling system
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This site must have 10000+ posts on steam vents. No joke.

It's not really a steam vent so much as an air vent. You have to run it into a pressurized part of the cooling system. So radiator overflow bottle won't work.

You can get a fitting welded onto the radiator. Or you can drill and tap a fitting pretty much anywhere on the water pump. Or you can get a T fitting and hook it into a cooling hose. Jags that run has a nice piece for that. Or you can just cap all four of the vents off as long as you make sure all of the air gets out when you fill the cooling system.

Some members get all PMS'd at the thought of capping the vents off, but fact is there are quite a few members on here who run that way.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Here is a link to several differant ways to hook up LS cooling systems, from someone who knows way more about cooling engineering than most who post here.http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...CoolingSystems It is a long post, but has 3 or 4 diagrams. I use a surge tank off of the heater return line. The factory even ran the vent to the heater return line on some cars. IMO, tapping the pump works, but would be a pain if the pump went out while out of town.

Last edited by 74modified; 12-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 74modified
IMO, tapping the pump works, but would be a pain if the pump went out while out of town.
Well stated, I've said this seemingly 1000 times. I like wear parts that can be replaced in a moments notice from any parts store with simple hand tools.

Quick Reply: cooling system question?