General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1998 Camaro LS1 rear wheel bearing change

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camaro LS1 rear wheel bearing change

hallo guys whats good...

I want to ask how easy it is to change a rear wheels bearing at a 98 camaro.
its a z28.

do i have to take off the diff cover?

or just mount off the caliper and brake disc and pull the shaft out of the differential?

and do i need special tools?
i want to flex it off the shaft and hammer the new one on with the old bearing on top...

a video or some pics would be GREAT... i did alot wheel bearings on fwd cars. but never at a rwd axle..

thanks for the help here..
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Changing the rear wheel/axle bearings isn't too big of a deal as long as you have the right tools but if you don't have the right tools I recommend taking it to someone who is familiar with doing this job. You will need to take the rear cover off along with the calipers and rotors so you can push the axles in and get the c-clips off inside the differential so you can remove the axles. Once you do that you can remove the axles and use a bearing puller to pull the bearings out of the rear end.

If this is the first time the wheel/axle bearings have been replaced you will need to use a repair bearing which is the bearing and seal all in one or get new axles and use the factory style bearing and seal. When the bearings go bad they generally wear the area where the axle rides on the bearing pretty bad so the repair bearings can be used and will allow the bearing to ride in a different area on the axle. This is generally the cheapest way to replace the bearings. The only other way is to replace the axles with ones that are not wore down and use the factory style bearing and seal. I hope I didn't confuse you too much with my jibber jabber. If you have any more questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you. I have done this job more than I care to remember so it is almost easier to do it then explain how to.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just remember to remove the wheel speed sensors that are behind the rotors. They are the things the wires are connected to(if you have a traction control car.

Once these sensors are removed, THEN you will be able to push the axles in... to remove the c-clips.

I don't know if you have oreillys over there, but they have a slide hammer for rent(they give the money back when tools are returned) and there is another set of tools that attach to the slide hammer. They hook in behind the bearings to pull them out. Don't get the one that has 2 hooks. Get the one that kind of makes a "T" shape. The top of the T part will tilt to make more of a straight line for you to get it into the axle tube. Then it tilts again to lock itself in behind the bearing. Then you screw the slide hammer in and tighten it up and get the bearing and seal out of there. A 6 pack of beer is another great tool when doing a job like this.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro LS1 rear wheel bearing change