Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls3 conversion value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls3 conversion value?

I am new to LS1tech and have joined as I am interested in doing a couple conversions on a couple of my wagons, but have a quick question on what people think the value would be of a first gen firebird that has a crate ls3 with 4l80e already completed with about 1500 miles on it? It is a convert in what I would call a good driver condition (no major issues, just a fresh paint job needed and a couple odds and ends needed) FYI- I can't post pics yet. What would the value be if it were setup like a pro-touring car with the issues completed and fresh paint?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Looking forward to learning a ton from the site.

-Chad
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Hey Chad welcome to the site, I joined a few years ago for the same reason as you. Put a LS1 in my 1956 chevy station wagon and love it. Your question about the first gen firebird is tough to answer. Most Pontiac guys I know that have first gen's 1960's etc. really like stock numbers matching stuff. However if the car is already lost its stock numbers matching parts a LS1 swap in my opinion would add value. Its really hard to take an old car update it and make money. Most of us don't do the swaps to just add value, but to make driving that much better and fun, my wagon is a blast to drive with just a few upgrades it make over 400 hp with no drivability problems. And I know I have a lot more in it than I will ever get back. good luck
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conv55
Hey Chad welcome to the site, I joined a few years ago for the same reason as you. Put a LS1 in my 1956 chevy station wagon and love it. Your question about the first gen firebird is tough to answer. Most Pontiac guys I know that have first gen's 1960's etc. really like stock numbers matching stuff. However if the car is already lost its stock numbers matching parts a LS1 swap in my opinion would add value. Its really hard to take an old car update it and make money. Most of us don't do the swaps to just add value, but to make driving that much better and fun, my wagon is a blast to drive with just a few upgrades it make over 400 hp with no drivability problems. And I know I have a lot more in it than I will ever get back. good luck
Thanks. It was a six cylinder car I believe and it is long gone. I am more curious as to what the cost/value would be just to know if/how upside down I might be. I want the driveabilty but also like to have different cars over time and may want to sell in the future. Thanks again for the help.

-C
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is almost impossible to give you a number without seeing pics and a list of the parts you used as the price can vary based on the parts used and the quality of the build. As for posting pics the easiest way is to create a photobucket account, post our pics there and then embed a link in your posts.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Take what you spend on it and divide that number by two, if you are lucky. If you want to sell a p-t car for $50k, put $100k worth of parts and labor into it. There is a zero percent chance that anything anyone tells you will have any affect on what you get from the car when you sell it. Not trying to be difficult but that is the reality of this game as I understand it. The only upside to building the car you like is having the car you like. And yes, I do understand that the original question is just a way to try to justify the cost of building your car, we've all been there. But a $7k suspension will not add $7k to the price of the car, neither will $10k in paint or a $3k interior. Sort of sucks.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

I think most Pontiac guys would spend big bucks on numbers matching cars. But, being a six cylinder car that the motor is long gone, go all out on the PT thing. The price is going to be affected by what you put into it (if you do a complete DSE build it will be worth more than a complete hotchkis build).

Chuckd71 said it, you won't get near as much for it as you put into it. Sucks... So keep it or sell it to me for real cheap!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Drednot
I think most Pontiac guys would spend big bucks on numbers matching cars. But, being a six cylinder car that the motor is long gone, go all out on the PT thing. The price is going to be affected by what you put into it (if you do a complete DSE build it will be worth more than a complete hotchkis build).

Chuckd71 said it, you won't get near as much for it as you put into it. Sucks... So keep it or sell it to me for real cheap!
Sorry that I wasn't clear, but just looking a ballpark of a nice driver/local show car firebird convert with an ls3/4760e conversion not 100k car. Disk all around, tubular control arms, clean/fresh interior, no over the top wheels and tires, functional fun car. Closer to 15k 30k 40k? What is the cost of just the conversion using crate and not take out parts? I will see if I can get some pics.

Thanks
-C
Attached Thumbnails Ls3 conversion value?-firebird.jpg   Ls3 conversion value?-firebird2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have a buddy that has the same car just green and parchment interior. It is bone stock original. His is a numbers matching 400/auto car. he turned down $15k and I don't think it is as nice as yours. I think it would be worth what someone pays for it. On this site which is an LS website I think it would go for more with a well done swap. I think the general public wouldn't understand the value of the swap. Thats just my .02

Last edited by Drednot; 12-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Am I looking at it wrong or are those the factory stamped upper control arms? Nice car though. Depending on what it needs $20s doesn't seem unreasonable, but with only two pics who knows. If you browse the classifieds and check over at p-t.com $30k will get you some really nice stuff, most of it is hard tops though, and top down = price up I'm afraid.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to say it but I don't think the motor / trans combo adds much to the price of the car at all. Maybe, if you find just the right guy he will pay extra to get the motor. But for the most part just start looking at what that year V8 car goes for in the same condition and that is probably the ball park you are in.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

haviang built and sold a couple of conversion cars I agree with the general thoughts here that the swap doesn't add much if anything to a car like you're talking about. I'm not really up to date on first generation F bodies, but I wouldn't think you'd be in the 20's, low to mid teens would be my expectation. I'm always looking at cars, if it was at or under $10k it would sell quick, after that, it's finding the right person.

Quick Reply: Ls3 conversion value?