Sponsored by:

HELP! cam install new oil pump no pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! cam install new oil pump no pressure

yes its another no oil pressure thread

question... i was looking at the ls1 oiling system diagram. it says it pumps to the filter then to top of motor. if the oil pump wasn't pumping would i still have oil in the filter?

i kicked it over a few times no spark/fuel. and got no pressure
so i fired it up for a sec or two and still no pressure but i do have oil in the filter.

i just want to confirm i have to pull the pump back out for the o ring.

i hope i explained that well enough
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to pull the pump to get at the o-ring.
Lower the front of the oilpan. You should have enough room to get at the bolt that holds the pickup tube to the bottom of the pump.
Stick a cloth in the pan to keep the bolt from falling into the pan.
Did you put the o-ring on this way (correct way)?...as opposed to placing the o-ring all the way on?

Before doing anything, try removing the oil filter. Place a clean container under the filter area, then crank. See if there is oil exiting the filter port.

Last edited by gMAG; 12-20-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my build I cranked it for about 5 seconds without plugs or fuel. Then started it and it still took a few seconds for build pressure. Filter was full too, but the pump and galleys were empty.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Teching In

there is oil coming out but nothing with regards to pressure. pretty much just dripping out.

after racking my brain and kicking myself in the a$$. i realized i didn't replace the oring. i thought i did but it must have slipped my mind while taking breaks. the new red one is sitting in my pile of tools. the original is still in there.

im going to rack this one up to bad oring. i dont think its pinched just no good. so i have already started tearing it back apart.

only thing that is really killing me is that i started the car twice for about 3 secs each time. pretty much exactly at the 3 sec mark a loud squealing started. now i used plenty of assembly lube on the new cam and with pouring oil in the head. the cam bearing should be ok right? after the first time i thought is was belt squeal. the second time it didnt squeal right away but exactly at the 3 sec mark when i killed it.

whats the chances that i hurt it?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before cranking to obtain oil pressure, the fuses for fuel pump & spark should be pulled, so that the car can't start.
Crank for about 8 seconds, a few times.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Teching In

ya i did that for about 10 mins straight. i also check the sensor which had just been replaced. i will have the pan dropped and pickup tube unhooked in a little while. i will be putting the red oring in and trying it again. i just hope i didnt damage anything.

thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: HELP! cam install new oil pump no pressure