Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Another ls2 not starting thread..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ls2 not starting thread..

I have an 2005 ls2 which i converted from 24x to 58x using the goodson insertion tool and last week, after 20 months, i attempted to start. I am running an e38 and a dashdaq for diagnostics. From what i can tell there is spark and fuel and the dashdaq backs this up but the engine won't start? It gave a couple of coughs and back fires after filling the exhaust with fuel vapor but nothing else?? i am confident the cam wheel is right and i don't have any error codes showing up but i suspect that the timing is up the ****. Is it possible that i installed the reluctor wheel incorrectly or could it be something simpler? Is there a way, other than removing the crankshaft and sump, to determine that the wheel is on correctly? like, lining no. 1 at tdc on compression and looking through the crank sensor hole to see the missing tooth on the wheel?

regards, Dave.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i found that tooth no. 14 is tdc for cylinder 1. I checked this on my engine and found it to be correct so it's back to the drawing board...

We pulled all the plugs and found them to be sparking nicely. We then cranked the engine with the plugs out and saw nice little puffs of fuel vapor come out each hole. My only thoughts now is the wiring?? It couldn't be the cam position sensor, it only goes on one way..

I'll have to find a pin-out for the e38 and check continuity. Anyone have any tips for changing the pins around in these plugs? is it a pita?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have the correct(gray) crank sensor, and 4X timig gear?

Quick Reply: Another ls2 not starting thread..