Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LS is the best fit and cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LS is the best fit and cost?

Posted on the newby forum but will ask over here. I have located a couple of options for my 78 vette conversion. Since I am newby which is the better option and why?
Option 1 is a High Performance 6.0 liter LQ9 Cadillac Escalade Engine from a 2004 model with 100k on it. Engine comes complete as pictured, with all coils and sensors, intake and exhaust manifolds, even the air flow meter! Engine is very clean and was carefully removed from a running Escalade which had an interior fire. No wiring harness, alternator, power steering unit or A/C compressor. $1600 or OBO. The miles don't worry me that much as these truck engine go a couple hundred K miles with no problems. Trying to get a little more info and possible service records on this engine.

Option 2 ls-1 out of a 2000 corvette. comes complete ready to run, has gm muscle car oil pan kit(new), heads have been decked and new valve seals installed (casting # 241), honed cylinders with new rings, new wind age tray, pickup tube, dip stick, injectors, 80mm intake, return less fuel rail, switched to 5.3l valve covers so i wouldn't have to use expensive pcv hose assm, corvette alt and ps bracket(new), compressor bracket for corvette(new), water pump(new), rail covers(new), arp flexplate bolts(new). minus throttle body and thermostat housing. Motor only had 46,000 miles before build 0 miles since. $2500 willing to take a reasonable offer.

Which is best bang for the buck. I don't have an umlimited budget this year. I am also doing a vintage air upgrade while the engine bay is clean. I am going to mate up to a 2004R trans with a 2800 RPM stall. Looking for around 400HP or so street car.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Although I like the truck motors, the LS1 may be a better deal (money wise) because you will need a lot of parts for the truck engine. Front accessories, wiring, ect. The truck intake fits on my 74 with Daytona hood; stock hood will need a car intake. The muscle car pan on the LS1 may be too low. If you know the work on the LS1 was done correctly it could be a good deal. I always look at the starter mounting pad on the aluminum blocks, checking for cracks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Donnie, making the rounds today I see.
The 200R4 requires a TV cable, doesn't it? The escalade motor is going to be a problem because it's only DBW. You could get a 411 ecu and cable harness, add a cable TB and IAC, but that just adds to the cost and complexity. BTW Bowtie Overdrives has the TV cable adapter for cable TB.
I wouldn go with any kind of rebuilt motor unless you know and trust the builder REALLY well. You're also going to need to swap out the oil pan for a vette or f body. Not a big deal but adds a couple hundred to swap back.
And dont overlook the 5.3 truck motors. They are a really great bang for the buck. You wont get 400hp, but 350+ with an LS6 cam is pretty realistic.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That muscle car pan should be easy to sell or trade.

have to wonder why they guy redecked his heads and put in new seals with only 46K on the clock.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
Hey Donnie, making the rounds today I see.
The 200R4 requires a TV cable, doesn't it? The escalade motor is going to be a problem because it's only DBW. You could get a 411 ecu and cable harness, add a cable TB and IAC, but that just adds to the cost and complexity. BTW Bowtie Overdrives has the TV cable adapter for cable TB.
I wouldn go with any kind of rebuilt motor unless you know and trust the builder REALLY well. You're also going to need to swap out the oil pan for a vette or f body. Not a big deal but adds a couple hundred to swap back.
And dont overlook the 5.3 truck motors. They are a really great bang for the buck. You wont get 400hp, but 350+ with an LS6 cam is pretty realistic.
The tranny is a TV cable and I purchased the transmission last year from Monster Transmission, so hate to discard if it can be used. Thought I would go with a cable TB. If I go with a truck motor will probably need to change the manifold for hood clearance. I am going to need a wiring harness and ecu regardless.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If you go with the LQ9, you might want to source a 411 ecu and cable harness from an aftermarket vendor, check out psi conversions.
You will need an LS1/6 intake. I got an LS1 intake on craigslist for $35 locally. You'll also need an oil pan. The batwing vette pans can be bought for around $100 on ebay. On a stock motor the vette/gto exhausts flow as good as most headers:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e_header_test/
I'm running the vette Z06 but have a set of gtos if you want to try them. Think I spent $50 on them, cheaper than even shorties.

Quick Reply: Which LS is the best fit and cost?