General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water in oil pan and oil in exhaust after 5 year nap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in oil pan and oil in exhaust after 5 year nap

Well my car has been sitting for almost 5 years in my driveway(02 ss m6) and has not been moved, touched or started until today. well attempted a start.... about a year ago the oil pan cracked. so yesterday i brought into the garage and started the mission. what i've found so far is it appears there was water in the oil pan. not coolant, just water and oil(i have a full rad of red coolant). the oil pan did break on the first night of real cold temps last winter. it appers that water is running from the cowl onto the top of the intake. that area is still wet also.

now, as i had the front of the car raised, i noticed oil coming out of the y-pipe/intermediate pipe junction. about a 6in by 6in puddle on the floor

so i put the oil pan in the car and will attempt to start it once i figure out why my pcm isn't send power to my fuel pump relay.

should i just assume i'm wasting my time and start looking for another motor?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Was it running when parked or what the story on her 5 year hiatus from life. I bet 90 nothing the fuel pump is dead and the injectors are stuck and the tank needs to be pulled and drained anyway.

If it's just a oil pan throw a new one on her pull the plugs and spin her over a few times get some good injectors and a fuel pump and she will probably fire right up. But be prepared for a whole collection of parts to be bad or die shortly after just from sitting. Modern cars can't sit like old ones could
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you don't bend any pushrods if the valves stick..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a garage to stick it in, turn the heater on and let it sit in 90+ degrees over night if possible, this should loosesn up any stuck valves.

the water is from condensation outside after the years, and is common for all cars. you should not have tried to start if without changing the oil. i would take a big breaker back, and a socket to the crank pulley bolt, and try to rotate it counter clockwise. do that a few times, and please change the oil before trying to start it again.

the best way would be to pull the valve covers and pour a full quart of oil on each side, drenching the pushrods (and lifters below), rockers, and valve seals as to give them a fighting chance to start with little damage to the motor, then fill the rest up on either side. get the engine all put back together, and then disconnect the coil packs and pull the fuel pump relay. then crank the motor over a few times (4-5 seconds) to get the oil flowing through the engine. then plug the coil packs back in and replace the relay then start her up.

oh yea, you will need to drain the fuel tank as none of that fuel is good. you may need some starter fluid to start it.

Quick Reply: Water in oil pan and oil in exhaust after 5 year nap