Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket headunit in my 99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket headunit in my 99 FRC

Hello all, I know this has been covered before but I cant find the exact answer im needing. I am wanting to go with an aftermarket headunit in my frc ( preferably a dual din dvd unit ) My main concern is, will I have to do any modifications to keep the "BOSE sound"? I know with my old cobras and GT's to keep the mach 460 sound you had to buy an extra adapter to run the amps. Just wondering if I could plug and play just as most other cars ( just the car typical wiring adapter and dash adapter )

ALSO lol Has anyone out there ( that reads this ) cut their stock center console piece for a dual din themselves. I see where some specialty shops do it and what not, I consider myself a fairly handy person and I love using my Dremel tool haha Kinda hoping I could just buy a nice pioneer or alpine dvd unit and cut to fit? Any input and help from you all would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you all are good with the stereo department and this is only my 3rd C5 and Im not as savy with these cars as I am with the F-bodies.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

The Bose system used in C5 Corvettes is completely different from the Bose system used in early 4th generation Camaros. It is possible to install an aftermarket head unit with an adapter but it is not possible to maintain the "Bose sound" if you do so. The adapter is the Pac Audio ROEM-VET1, a variation of the OEM-1 adapter used for Camaros.

The C5 Bose system consists of a special head unit, a signal processor, four "Twiddler" speakers (3.5" doors, 6.5" quarter panels) which handle mid and high frequency signal, and two 8" subs in the doors for low frequencies. There are no tweeters. The two door subs are powered by individual 100 watt amps. The other speakers are powered by the head unit which produces about 15-18 watts to each of four channels.

The unique thing about the setup is the Bose signal processor. The head unit produces four channel low level (pre-amp) output which is sent to the signal processor. The signal processor combines and filters the left and right channels to send low frequency signal to the amps for the door subwoofers. It also processes the other four channels with automatic loudness, ambiance and spatial enhancement before sending the signal back to the head unit for amplification.

The Pac adapter sends the amplified (speaker-level) signal from an aftermarket head unit to the four Twiddlers. It also has a built-in Line Out Converter (LOC) that has both a factory connector for use with the Bose amps/subs and RCA connectors for use with an aftermarket amp if you replace the factory amps/subs. But it does not support the Bose signal processor so you lose that signal customization.

There is more to a double DIN bezel than just cutting the opening. The standard double DIN opening is taller than the 1.5 DIN factory opening but it is also narrower. Converting a bezel involves making the opening taller but narrower so fabrication is involved. Our sponsor Double D Mods sells a variety of C5 double DIN bezels but they are quite a bit more expensive than f-body because they include much of the center console.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headunit in my 99 FRC