LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Checking compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking compression

I'm puffing smoke out of the valve covers so I figure broken ring, blown head gasket or something else just as bad. I need to perform a compression test and leakdown test on my '95 Trans Am. I'm going to use my remote starter switch to bump the motor over to close the valves and then check leakdown. Has anybody used a remote starter switch (RSS) on their 4th gen? Did you simply do the connections straight to the starter solenoid for both connections or one connection at solenoid and the other art the battery itself? Can the RSS be hooked up through the OBD connector as a sort of "hot-wire" approach?

Once I see the numbers they will be used to determine a complete rebuild of the engine versus a more cost saving approach.

Thanks for any insight on this .... Larry S.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could just pull the injector fuses and turn the key.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Connect one terminal to the solenoid and the other to the power. Just be careful not to cross them while connected. I wouldn't even use terminals unless at least one of them has a rubber boot since the terminals on the starter are so close. Either that or you can also disconnect the PCM fuse, however this will reset the PCM.

Quick Reply: Checking compression