LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please help me piece together my Head overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help me piece together my Head overhaul

My timing chain breakage damaged 5 valves and 5 pushrods. Mechanic didn't specify what valves in his email.

Another turn of events - My father-in-law called my wife and told her he wants to pay for the repair. He is a millionaire, but he didn't get that way by spending. He called a friend of his who is a mechanic and is going to do the wrench turning. This Mechanic is a boat mechanic as that is what my father knows. My Father-in-law was specific to my wife that he was only paying to get the car "on the road" and not for any upgrades. This Mechanic knows a machinist who will do the "machine work". I got his email and want to send him my requests.

I am very happy that he is doing this, I am also somewhat upset because I fear this route will run in excess of what a set of LE1 heads would run and probably perform much less. And my wife said I can't turn him down, and I don't want to. Who would?

My questions:
Is a valve job necessary, recommended or not necessary?

Should all valves be replaced? Car is 16 years old with 70K. If so, what valves should I go with?? I am looking for performance equal or greater than stock.

Should I have the heads milled when they are disassembled and cleaned up? If so, how much? Stock pistons, stock cam (for now). I have 93 octane all the time.

What gasket should I go with? I know it depends on milling. Suggestions for both?
.051 - Stock
.039 - Felpro
.028 - GM "Impala"
.026 - Mr Gasket

What else should be replaced? Any other recomendations with the heads or the timing chain replacement? Much thanks.

For the record. I used the search function. I don't have enough time in my life to sort through the millions of threads with the word "head" in it on LS1tech. So search *****, please take the day off.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

GM 1.5 roller rockers
0.026" Mr. Gasket/Reinz gaskets
Tune and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car has Kooks 1 3/4" LTs
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible for you to pay the amount over what your father in-law feels is reasonable, that way you can get the head work done that you want. AI used to sell new GM castings that they did their magic on for a very reasonable cost. Then you won't have to worry about the possibility of your heads being cracked from the valves smacking the pistons.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by guppymech
Is it possible for you to pay the amount over what your father in-law feels is reasonable, that way you can get the head work done that you want. AI used to sell new GM castings that they did their magic on for a very reasonable cost. Then you won't have to worry about the possibility of your heads being cracked from the valves smacking the pistons.
This....
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am waiting on a quote from the Machinist. I told the mechanic that if the quote comes back north of 900.00 that I have a better option for the price (Lloyd Elliot). And at that time, will have the Machinist make the recommendation up. If it comes from me, it seems I am wanting. It really is politics. If it comes from the Mechanic, or Machinist, it is saving him money. I wrote Lloyd tonight to see what his thoughts were and turn-around time. Thanks. I truly am thankful to my father-in-law for this. I just feel if the heads are off and the price is the same, do it right.

Quick Reply: Please help me piece together my Head overhaul