Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring issue

So recently on my 2000 T/A when i turn the ignition my guages start to pulse and car wont start i poped the hood and wiggled the battery cable connected to some sort of a ground wire and vehicle eventually will start could this possibly be a ground wire issue and if so are there more than 1 ground wires on theses cars. when i turn the car off and turn the ignition i get no power what so ever to the car and have to wiggle the wires connected to the battery. the battery is only 6 months old and from Interstate and the wires are not lose either im kinda lost at this point
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wires could be lose under the insulation somewhere, but to be honest without trying to be a dick, you may want to take it to a trustworthy mechanic because you can cause a lot more damage of this persists. Since you had to ask if there was more than one ground wire (there are lots of them) I am guessing this is not your area of expertise.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I have schematics, but if you're not comfortable tracking down electrical problems, we're kind of at a dead end.

There's a couple main grounds, but a lot of smaller grounds. What else have you been tinkering with lately? Check the connections on the driver's side junction box. There's a couple main fuses in there. Check fuses first. There's a couple grounds behind the heads, and one main one to the engine block.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

That sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator going bad. I know you said it's new, but for starters, I would double check the battery. Take a few voltage samples, while off, while starting, and while running. I wanna say I normaly get around 12.6 off, down to 10 while starting and then 13.8 to 14.4 while running. Make sure the cables to the battery and back of the alternator are on tight, have no wear marks, and don't show signs of corrosion...which sometimes can creep pretty far down under the insulation. If you feel hard areas in the wirings, sometimes that indicates a bad spot where there is corrosion. If nothing stands out after doing all that, then I would take the car to a shop and have them check out the battery and charging system. Good luck and when you find out what it is, keep us posted.

Opps, nevermind I saw where you said it happens before you actually turn over the motor. Well, I'd still double check the battery and main wires.

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 01-14-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Wiring issue