What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

99 Z28 A4 w/ 198k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Z28 A4 w/ 198k miles

My buddy is selling his Z28 and I'm kind of interested in it.
He is the 2nd owner and the car is very well maintained. He is very particular and always fixing issues when something would break. Funny thing, it always happened in 3s, such as starter went, then a/c, then the little chip thingy in the ignition that corresponds with the key. He had them all fixed of course.

He had done all the routine maintenance and the car has some bolt ons.....headers, y pipe, exhaust, lid, bilsteins ( I helped install)...always keeps the car super clean. Most of the miles are a mix of city and highway.
Only thing it needs is a brake job and high beams are stuck on.

He wants $3250 for it, I am gonna offer $3000.

I am intrigued by the deal knowing the history of the car and the care it has received. I plan on using it as a DD and leaving it as is, except maybe get a tune done to it to by Spartan Performance to ensure the AFR is in check.

What do you guys think? Should I go lower? KBB and NADA both have these listed much higher. The car looks more like a 100k mike car and not a 200k mile car.

Thoughts? Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

I agree with your thinking (the owner and history are ultra important on a car like this) although a 200k miles car sure is bound to have continuing issues like your friend keeps experiencing. The engine life?? The tranny life?? Who knows how long they can last when well-maintained. Maybe you can get an easy 50,000 more miles out of both, or something serious could go wrong next month. It's a gamble and $3,000 would be absolute top $$$ especially with brakes needed and an unknown issue with the high beams. I keep thinking of the Atlanta traffic and how tough all that 'stop and go' traffic is on a car. You sure the car is OK other than these items you mention? I know a/c is imperative in the summer. It has to be over 100 degrees on I-85 in those traffic jams.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I was anticipating your reply post. Yeah, I have thought about all the little things that may come up in the near future that might break. Like you said, it really is a gamble. There is a brake package on here for $200 for rotors/pads, the high beams is a little thingy needed to be fixed in the column, should be easy to fix.

Thankfully here in ATL, I am only 3 miles away from my work, no more dealing with the highways and long drives home. Most of my travel is close in town, work, gym, shopping, I really do not have to venture far out. If in the event I do, I can pull out the G8 for farther trips.

There is also a local tuner who is really well versed in the 4th gens, if something comes up, he can fix it. I think I could even flip in the car in the future and break even or maybe make a buck or 2 on it. There are very few if none 4th gen LS1s around here for cheap. They all want an arm and a leg.

My ulitmate goal as well as a DD is to track the car on HPDE events. I know it needs a little work still, but I think it would hold up. If not, just trailer it home. I did it in my G8 and loved having the LS power out of the turns and on the straight aways. And I saw some POSs out there that should not be on the track at all. Some sticky tires and good brake pads and I'll be in business. I need a toy to beat up on.

Quick Reply: 99 Z28 A4 w/ 198k miles