New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Newb" questions with pics. (TB, LCA's, Plugs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default "Newb" questions with pics. (TB, LCA's, Plugs)

I am relatively new to newer muscle cars. I just want to verify two things. This throttlebody is ported, correct? And does it look like it needs the bump stop mod? When I open the throttle all the way to the bump, the wing on the inside goes completely flat. Or is it the voltage difference that that mod makes?

Also is this next picture the lower control arm or is it a trailing arm? Are they the same thing? And this is an aftermarket part i'm assuming... I was told that my car had LCA's on it when I bought it and I figured these were them but I just want to be sure. I am just wondering what brand they might be as well since I haven't found any that are dark blue except for the Edelbrock.

Also I change my plugs and found that the previous owner put NGK TR5gp's in there. The car was apparently tuned. These plugs look rich to me but just wondering what you guys may think. I did have a really bad problem with the car misfiring in the rain so I changed the wires/plugs a week or two ago, and used dielectric grease to seal all connections and am hoping that does the trick. Any comments on the plugs?

Thank you
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The throttle body does appear to have been worked, based on that picture. The bump stop mod only serves to allow the throttle blade to reach a true 90° angle, so if yours is already doing that then there would be no reason to grind anything further. It's more important to shoot for that 90° angle rather than worrying about a specific TPS voltage, although you don't want to go beyond 4.7v (I believe this is the number, been a few years since I dealt with this) at WOT or a DTC could set.

Trailing arms/rear lower control arms are one in the same. What is pictured above are aftermarket tubular units. Stock ones are stamped steel.

The picture of the plugs doesn't have very good lighting, at least as it appears on my screen. But from what I can tell, they don't look bad. I don't see any excessive carbon or oil fouling on the electrodes anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The throttle body does appear to have been worked, based on that picture. The bump stop mod only serves to allow the throttle blade to reach a true 90° angle, so if yours is already doing that then there would be no reason to grind anything further. It's more important to shoot for that 90° angle rather than worrying about a specific TPS voltage, although you don't want to go beyond 4.7v (I believe this is the number, been a few years since I dealt with this) at WOT or a DTC could set.

Trailing arms/rear lower control arms are one in the same. What is pictured above are aftermarket tubular units. Stock ones are stamped steel.

The picture of the plugs doesn't have very good lighting, at least as it appears on my screen. But from what I can tell, they don't look bad. I don't see any excessive carbon or oil fouling on the electrodes anyway.
well said ..agreed with the lighting on the plugs from what i can see it may be a hair fat on the tune but it could just be lighting that makes it look like that but overall they look good
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Yeah sorry about the lighting I tried to get a good pic but yeah not really that great at all. Thanks a lot for answering my questions guys!

Quick Reply: "Newb" questions with pics. (TB, LCA's, Plugs)