Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to nitrous, reccomendations on my setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new to nitrous, reccomendations on my setup

well I have always been somewhat afraid of nitrous from all the old horror stories. but recently it has been proven to be more and more effective and can be done safely. I picked up a kit from a friend very cheap. so I figured I'd give it a try. I setup a very basic 75 dry shot on my bolt on t/a. monitored afr's with a wideband to make sure everything looked good. I quite liked the new found power at the flip of a switch. so now I have pulled the kit off the trans am and put it on my 5.3 swapped 68 c10. 5.3 is a bone stock junkyard motor of unknown miles. truck intake, stock f body manifolds and y. runs very strong and tune seems to be dialed in pretty well (been making passes at the track and logging it with hp tuners and my tuner has been making adjustments accordingly). now, how i have the setup on the truck I am planning on making it a 2 stage setup, the 75 dry, plus a ~100 wet. I have the dry nozzle in the intake tube before the IAT like I did on my t/a. I have the wet solenoids wired on a manual arm switch to an rpm switch to a WOT switch. the dry is just on the arm switch and WOT. the plan is to launch it on the dry and let the wet come in just after. now for my questions: does anyone see any issues with this setup? anything I should change or be mindful of? where is the best location for the wet nozzle, or should I just invest in a plate for that size shot? any recommendation on plugs? also I have a single -4 supply line from the bottle, will that be enough to feed all this or will I need -6? will the IAT pulling timing for the dry shot also be enough for the wet? or should i do something along the lines of the IAT grounding trick? it is just a junkyard motor, but I would like to try to get some life out of it
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

also forgot to mention I have an MSD EFI pump supposedly good for 500 hp. I also have an aeromotive 340 on the shelf I can put in if needed
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not put the wet or dry nozzle before the MAF or IAT. Extremely cold air across the IAT = increase in spark. Not a good idea. The amount of fuel added by the pcm in the case of dry because the air is crossing the MAF is still not enough, so I wouldn't do it. The nitrous breaks down in the cylinder and you will get a leaner mix.

Sounds like a mix/match of too much stuff. I would rather see one 100 shot w/the arming sw, window and WOT triggers then just up the hp w/the jets.

The more fuel the better. IF you have a good fuel system, why not install?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

the 75 dry on my ta worked just fine spraying before the IAT/MAF. AFR's were good and timing stayed safe. I know it isn't adviseable to spray a wet shot through the MAF, so I think I may put the nozzle in the back side of the MAF housing. I may just run the single kit and hit it with a big shot. I just have enough stuff to do the 2 stages, so I kinda wanted to, but not opposed to just running one big wet shot either
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey sounds like it will work. What is your wot spark with dry sprayed over the IAT? With another 100hp will make more difference.

Use a flip arming switch instead of manual button on wet. Just flip it on when you are ready then leave it on for rest of pass. Will give u more veh control and less cockpit mgt

Lol most of my passes involve ttrying keep car straight. A button may distract u.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

yeah all mine is setup to be flip it and forget it. single arming switch arms both sets of noids, but the dry goes straight to the WOT and the wet to the RPM box and WOT. so the dry will hit off the launch and the wet will come on after the converter catches up. going to try it and see. talking with my tuner about this also. if he feels it will be too complicated to try to setup basically 3 different tunes to do this, I will just stick with the single big wet shot. any recommendations on plugs? I had NGK tr6's in the t/a. don't know what the timing was at, tuner checked all that, but left the wideband int he car for me to see, and on the juice I was seeing 13.1-13.2 afrs, and it would hold dead on 12.9 n/a

Quick Reply: new to nitrous, reccomendations on my setup