Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard clutch, doesn't disengage. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard clutch, doesn't disengage. Help!

Hey guys,

We just installed a built up 383 ls1 back into our 2004 GTO. The motor runs great but we ran into a problem once we bled the clutch and tried to move the car.

First off the clutch pedal is very noticeably harder to push than stock. We can feel the slave cylinder moving through the inspection port when stepping on the clutch. The clutch does not seem to disengage at all, and the car jumps when trying to start in gear.

We have a ls7 flywheel and clutch installed, a new pilot bearing, and we reused the old throwout bearing / slave as there is only about 20k on the car.

It definitely doesn't FEEL like there is still air in the line, although I suppose that is a possibility.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Bump.

The only thing I can come up with is that we some how put the clutch disk in backwards, but I'm not sure how I wouldn't have noticed that.

The system did have some pretty nasty looking brake fluid in it previously, there was some dirt chunks in the reservoir we cleaned out. I'm not sure if they could cause issues such as this.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I would say you are correct. The disc is in backwards.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Try bleeding but the trans may have to come back out . i dont think you may have put it backwards . All the ones i have seen if you put it backwards the clutch disc springs hit the fly wheel . It wouldt be seating right other wise .
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I'm just not sure how the clutch pedal would be that heavy if there were in air left in the line. I'm pretty stumped.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Torq3r
I'm just not sure how the clutch pedal would be that heavy if there were in air left in the line. I'm pretty stumped.
maybe there is something wrong with the pressure plate or the throw out bearing . something ist releasing the clutch .

Thats your problem its stuck and not disengaging . (the car jumps when trying to start in gear)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I mean that clearly is the issue, i'm just looking for someone who had a similar problem (hard clutch pedal, no disengagement) that could tell me what it was before I get the trans off (I'm going back to school, its gonna be months worrying about this what the hell is wrong with this before I get a chance)

Quick Reply: Hard clutch, doesn't disengage. Help!