PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionable engine - want to hear it run before having it tuned...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questionable engine - want to hear it run before having it tuned...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...CjaFgAtyR7Qu0M

I purchased a wrecked 02 Tahoe frame/chassis with an engine that is questionable. It was covered with a tarp for 2 years but left outside and thus needed some PB blaster (and about 2 weeks) down the cylinders to make it turn. It also happens to be a drive by wire engine with the full underhood harness however I do not have the lock/key (VATS) and I didn't get the tac module or pedal.

So I have several questions in advance of having someone reprogram the computer. Basically if this engine is bad I want to avoid sinking a lot of time/money into it. What is the best way to do that? Particularly because if I purchase another engine its very likely to be newer then 02 and I'll be stuck with stuff that I can't use.

1. Is there any possible way to run this engine without getting the computer reprogrammed to remove the VATS, etc? For example, does the VATS prevent spark AND fuel or just fuel? (In other words could i give it gas via a manual method just to hear it run?)

2. Will it start and idle without a TAC/pedal? Since the 2002 seems to be a more difficult to find a TAC/pedal I would prefer to only buy one after this engine has had enough idle time to know that it's not going to be a smoker. (Unless someone has an 02 pedal and tac they want to sell on the cheap)

3. I am looking to transplant this engine/4L60E into a 67 chevelle. For hood clearance I may end up with an LS1 intake (and some day a turbo). I'm pretty sure I will be getting it reprogrammed a time or two if this engine is good. Are most places cheaper on a reprogram or the same?

4. I live about an hour northwest from Columbus OH - I see I could mail the computer to the guy from lt1swap.com but wondered if there are any local people that folks are aware of that reprogram?

Many Thanks,
David
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you had to use pb blaster and let it sit for two weeks before it would even turn over, it's going to be a smoker no matter what you do. You might as well plan on a rebuild or a different engine.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you had to use pb blaster and let it sit for two weeks before it would even turn over, it's going to be a smoker no matter what you do. You might as well plan on a rebuild or a different engine.
While I won't argue that point (because it's likely but not for sure) can someone address the questions as I posed them?

Quick Reply: Questionable engine - want to hear it run before having it tuned...