Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak Advice

I recently traded a GSXR 1000 for a '99 Trans Am six speed car. So far I have changed the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. I also drained whatever fluid was in the radiator. The fluid that was in the radiator was a reddish brown color and turned to slush when the temperature dropped. I drained what I could, filling it with fresh antifreeze each time until there seemed to be a good mix for the winter months. I drove the car five miles after I got it to a cold storage shed to be stored until I can spend some time working on it. Yesterday, I started the car and let run for a bit after pulling the codes from the OBDII port and again checking the fluids. When I went to check the cardboard a put under the car there were two spots where the car is leaking what I think is oil. One spot is near where the oil filter and plug are on the pan and the other spot is directly in line with the driveline where the bell housing meets up with the tranny or where the motor meets the bell housing. I will know more tomorrow. I am going out tomorrow to inspect the leaks. My question is what should I look for specifically if anything. What are common areas to consider for leaks on these cars?

Codes I pulled were as follows.

P0307 - cylinder 7 miss fire
P1415 - secondary air injection system

I realized when I traded for the car that I was going to be wrenching on it. This car has seen better days and I am looking forward to turning into a nice car again.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a port on the oil pan right above the oil filter, you'll see it's blocked off. That gasket could be your problem. The other spot could be a rear main seal if its wet in between the engine and trans.

Might want to change the plugs/wires and see if the misfire code goes away, and ohm test the coils. The air pump is for emissions, does this car have the stock exhaust or were headers added ?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I will check the port you are describing for leakage and I also suspected the rear main seal for the second spot. Unfortunately, it rained here overnight n the storage building is still being worked on and will be a muddy mess around it. NBD, i have time to get to it another day.

I will also try to dig into the misfire issue when I can. The car has stock exhaust manifolds but has had the EGR delete and I suspect someone may have tampered with the air pump system as well. I will keep updated what gets done as I go.

Here are some pics of the trade. The bike I traded was in perfect condition and ran like new. I beat a corvette on it last summer. I paid $5500 for the bike. The TA has 160k miles but the engine n tranny came from an 01 camaro n have 54k. I cant really ride like I want to anymore due to a knee injury n I like working on cars so made the trade.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Nice bike....they are hard to beat. They have obnoxious amounts of speed, extremely reliable, and are relatively cheap. However for me...the twisty roads are a few hours away, I always got bored on a sportbike just running straight roads, and yet trackdays were too expensive. I get to enjoy the car with my son and that's priceless. The only thing I can add about your car, which may not be the problem is.......My brother's old truck had a rear main seal leak and so I replaced it for him. It seemed fine when I started the engine and checked it for leaks. However the next day he took it somewhere and it started leaking on him again. From then on he just lived with it leaking. It didn't dawn on me until after he sold the truck a year later, but looking back I remember him taking out and plugged a bunch of emission hoses and that's about the same time the original leak started. I never really looked at what all he took out and plugged up, but to this day, I wonder if he plugged up a crankcase ventalation hose and maybe the blowby in the crankcase was causing the rear main leak??? Anyway, it might not have anything to do with your leaking problem, but you did say that the previous owner messed with the emmission? So it might be something to look at. Good luck.

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 02-08-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I will look in to this theory. I have already looked into the EGR delete and air pump removal info a little but not sure on a thorough step by step for either. I usually search until I see a write up done by a professional. A final step in the process could be to install or fab a functional crankcase ventilation system but I have not seen anything on that yet. I will not be working on the car for some time due to an upcoming knee surgeory but I will def keep this updated or start a new thread on the build when I get rolling. So far I have 3 LS1 books and a Haynes manual to get through, not to mention this forum and the rest of the net. Great info
everyone!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I am continuing this thread in the 67-02 firebird forum if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Advice