Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this normal looking? (Driveshaft to trans connection)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal looking? (Driveshaft to trans connection)

Is this an acceptable amount of yoke sticking out of the trans? I'm not sure what the acceptible range is and I'm terrible w/ transmissions.

Main reason I'm asking is because I'm getting a terrible popping noise at low speeds (pulling into garage, parking spot, etc) when turning the wheel... It sounds like metal/bushings binding and everything I've gathered so far has told me upper shock mounts/isolator, but I'm trying to eliminate any other possibilities before I take the shock assembly apart. Any input on this is much appreciated becasue the popping noise is getting pretty bad.

Second reason I ask is because coasting at low rpms when driving, say 6th gear at 40mph, the car lunges like the driveshaft is out of balance. Under load/gas though, theres no vibration.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's fine, the range is 3/4" to 1". Can't help on your vibration issue, sounds like a suspension loading/unloading problem...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yokes are not heat treated & the output spline of the T56 is. I have seen yokes with a "notch" worn into them. The result would be the pop/ grunt you describe when the yoke tries to plunge. It hits the wear notch and reacts when it moves......check your yoke for this.

Quick Reply: Is this normal looking? (Driveshaft to trans connection)