Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question about coolant temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about coolant temps?

Hi guys, I have a 2002 Trans Am that I'm asking this question about. I hadn't actually paid attention to it before until a couple of days ago. From the time I start the car, in about I'd say 5-10 minutes while on, idle or running the car will go from the bottom temp on the coolant reader and then gradually halfway. I don't know if that's normal?
I mean, today was only in the 30s outside, wasn't even hot and the needle still went halfway. I haven't noticed it get any higher, I'll have to monitor it more.

Anyway, is there a problem and what can I tell my mechanic to check? Sorry, I don't know crap about fixing my own car so mechanic it is. Just want to get the heads up on what could be wrong that way I can get straight to the point at the mechanics. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe we're not on the same page, but my temp gauge will hit slightly under the 210 mark in 5-10 mins depending on how hot or cold it is outside. Normal.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Seems pretty normal.. If you're really concerned, bleed the system. Remember, we have a "lazy" coolant gauge, as in the needle reads right around 210* unless it starts to overheat
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AmnSF
Maybe we're not on the same page, but my temp gauge will hit slightly under the 210 mark in 5-10 mins depending on how hot or cold it is outside. Normal.
It was really cold this morning and it still made it up to the middle. Eh, I guess I'm too concerned about it. lol Barely bought the car like almost 4 months ago. I had a 1998 Trans Am convertible before this one but I never paid attention to it on that one.

Originally Posted by ZouMechE
Seems pretty normal.. If you're really concerned, bleed the system. Remember, we have a "lazy" coolant gauge, as in the needle reads right around 210* unless it starts to overheat
I might consider bleeding the system if it doesn't cost too much.

Also, so I won't bother you guys with another form post, my car feels slugish when accelerating. Recently put the Volant cold air intake that I had on my 98 T/A(the 2002 T/A still felt that way before I changed it just to note) and I also changed the car oil and that helped it but at times it still feels like that. If you could please list some of the possibilities of why?
I remember my 98 T/A feeling much more smoother/responsive when accelerating.

Last edited by FormlessPersuasion; 02-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not as mechanically inclined or experienced as some people here but I had a similar issue when I removed my TB and lid/bellows. Turned out my bellows were loose and collapsed during my drive and had literally no air flow. Or it could be a misfire. I would check plugs and wires as well.

Quick Reply: Question about coolant temps?