What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro Z28

I have a slightly modified 2002 Camaro Z28 that I want to sell soon in Northern Virginia. It has 84,XXX miles, it's a six speed, and has been my daily driver for six years.

It's been in two minor accidents and CarFax says to deduct $60.00 from the final price based on information in it's report. I don't know how to post the CarFax report itself.

On the KBB scale I'd honestly rate it in Good condition, due to some scratches, interior seat wear, and the like. It has passed the latest emissions test required in Fairfax county, but then it blew a code. I was told that would happen due to the oxygen sensors in the exhaust system.

Here is a list of the modifications, which were all installed by professionals.

9'' Rear End From Midwest Chassis and Performance
UMI Torque Arm
UMI Tubular Sub-frame Connectors
UMI Panhard Bar with Poly Bushings (non-adjustable)
4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's (2 new, 2 at about 50%)
SLP Airbox (actually I put this in - that's about the limit of my abilities)
Polished Mass Airflow Sensor
Kook's headers and catted Y-pipe
MagnaFlow exhaust
Lou's Short Stick
Pro 5.0 Shifter
4.10 Gears
Premium Aftermarket Sound System (can't remember the specifics - basically a USB head unit with decent front door speakers, a Pioneer ten inch sub in an enclosure in the side of the "trunk", and two nice amps to power the system whose wattage I can't recall)

It has just been tuned by American High Performance in Lorton, VA, to 320 RWHP/336 RWTQ. AHP also checked out the car for a pre-sale inspection and said it was good to go.

I also have a California Car Cover which I use. These days I drive the car once a week for 10-20 miles and then keep it outside covered the rest of the time. It's always been kept outside.

The interior and exterior were just detailed.

Here are some pictures of the car to give you an idea of the condition.

I don't want to squeeze every dollar out of the car, but I would like to sell it pretty soon. I'm not hurting for money but I might just be leaving the area very soon and I will not haul a car I don't want 3000 miles. It's been a mild winter so far but I'd rather sell it before spring regardless.

So can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a pretty quick sale? How should I do about the advertisements? I'd kinda like to sell it to a gearhead or someone who knows what he's doing because it'd be nice to think that she was turned into a monster, but I'll take whoever has the cash. And I am guessing that cash or going to a bank and watching the buyer get a cashier's check is the way to go, right?

Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Nice write-up. It is refreshing to read about details instead of vague descriptions.
First off I can't believe that your car is stored outside. I would never guess that from the pictures you posted. You really took your time caring for it. Nice choice in tires by the way too. I love mine on my T/A.
You definitely have the right mind-set to sell this car. KBB 'private party' in your zip code is probably the best price guide to use for that quick sale, especially with two accidents on file and that 'code'. Very few buyers are paying extra for mods, even though I am sure you have a lot invested. That's just the way it is right now. My area shows a price range in the $9,000 area. If yours is the same, I would ask $9,950 to allow for negotiating room. If no activity, then start lowering in $500 increments.
I would use www.Autotrader.com , about $45 for 8 weeks and 9 pictures I believe. The tire kickers aren't so bad there but you will still get some real jerks that e/mail you. Ebay is almost a waste of time with the kids that screw around on there, but it is FREE in many instances if you can put up with the BS and horrible fee if you do sell it. $125 the last time I ever used it (but that's been over a year now). CL is a joke and I wouldn't even consider it. No need to explain the criminal element that peruses the ads.
I agree about the bank being the best place for a transaction to occur. Bank personnel can verify the buyer's funds and notarize the title etc.. Cash is fine too and then a notary can be used at a bank or AAA office. Weekend sales almost have to be in cash.
GLWS!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information. I didn't consider Autotrader, but that sounds like the way to go.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Autotrader is a good idea. Craigslist you will get some BS but if you do post it, try other areas. I drove 5 hours to pick up my 99 z since there weren't any in my area with what I wanted. Price sounds about right alsp

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro Z28