Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

flywheel dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flywheel dimensions

I need the dimensions from the flywheel crank mounting surface to the edge of the ring gear. I'm finding that my new flywheel seems to sit too far from the rear of the block. I'm guessing it should be around 1mm, mine is more.
Can anyone post what theirs might be? Shouldn't matter what brand. I'm just hoping it is the flywheel not the crank flange too thick.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if this helps, I have a block, crank, and (Fidenza alum) flywheel mocked up right now. It shows 7/16" from the block to the forward edge of the ring gear and 7/8" to the rear edge of the ring gear.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, it does help. So yours is 7/16 or 0.4375". Mine is 0.55". Do you know how far the starter pinion will be from the ring gear? I'll bet it will be almost 1/8".
Mine is more than 0.200.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

No, but I have a starter that I can mock up. Are you looking for the static pinion depth or after engagement? I can (usually) pry the pinion gear out to it's maximum with a pick tool...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I think I have it figured out. Flywheel is fine. Crank flange is somehow thicker.
Old 5.3 crank measures 0.20 from end of flange to the oil seal mark. My new engine measures 0.341. Difference is 0.14 or 3.5mm. I had compared a wreck back of block to ring gear and it was 10mm. Mine is 14mm. So that checks in pretty well. Looks like I have found the extra 3.5 to 4mm.
Why this is, I have no idea. I have emails out to the appropriate persons.
Ultimately, I'll have to live with it. The starter is the only problem. I'll have to see what can be done.
Yes, if you can just give me the ring gear to pinion dimension, that would be more info for me. Don't have to check engagement depth.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Couldn't get a dimension as my garage is too dark. Here are a few pix that may help. The opening in the starter nose is centered for/aft on the ring gear teeth. This was a good exercise for me too, as I found out the starter nose interferes with my old-school scattershield.
Attached Thumbnails flywheel dimensions-100_2411s.jpg   flywheel dimensions-100_2412s.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yours is where I think it should be. When I put my starter on, the ring gear just about touches the end of the starter nose. Looks like on your, the starter ring gear is about centered.
I've ordered a custom starter with extra long pinion stick out. Still don't know what happened. I'm waiting for the engine builder to call/email me.
Thanks for your work on this. Better to have found you have a problem now rather than when you are about to install the engine and have the starter not fit the scatter shield.
I have a new Quicktime and it clears no problem.

Quick Reply: flywheel dimensions