Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me decide my next upgrade purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide my next upgrade purchase!

I have a 99 TA (non ws6 sleek beak) with 85k miles on it that i'm really enjoying. Over the past year I started working on it myself and I find it fun to buy parts and swap them as a preventative maintenance. With income tax returns due, I'd like some input on my next purchase.

I've budgeted about $400, and I've narrowed it down to these:

1. Accusump oil accumulator setup - I figure the pre-oiling and safety is something to help my car last longer. I would have to use a sandwich adapter though.

2. Sway bars - A nice purchase to help tie my other suspension mods together, however it's not really a preventative maintenance and I feel the other options might be more important...

3. Stainless hardlines and flexlines for the brakes all around - About 2 years ago I had to have the rear half of the cars brake lines redone (when I didnt work on the car myself). The mechanic hand bent them and it looks pretty crappy. I think it would be nice to just buy a whole new set of pre-bent stainless and be done with it.

4. 1LE front lower control arms - fairly pricey considering you can get tubular aftermarkets for the same price, but I live in the northeast so im dead set on rubber. My old current arms are kinda rusty and the bushings are cracked but aren't urgent.

5. Headers and ORY - another performance buy so I'm not really feeling this one, plus with my stock rear end I dont think more HP is gonna help anything. I also think this would open a whole can of worms with motor mounts and cat deletes and o2 sensors and egr air deletes and crap like that.

6. Any other small things that are a good preventative maintenance and are low cost feel free to remind me or comment!!!!!!

A little background on the car's newer parts:

Shocks/struts
Front strut mounts
Springs
Panhard bar
Rear LCAs
Tie rod ends
Bumpstops
Cat-back exhaust
Clutch/flywheel
Pilot/throwout bearings
Brake pads
C6 Wheels
Summer tires
Air lid
Reusable air filter
Iridium plugs
Low resistance plug wires
Window motors
Fuel filter
Radiator cap
MAF sensor cleaned
All fresh fluids

And I'm sure I'm forgetting others...

I appreciate you taking a look at my situation and i'm lookin forward to feedback. Not really focused on power, but more into reliability and longevity.

-Justin
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Are you looking more for safety and that, or for tangible increases in performance you can feel????

1. Skip it, run really good oil (for me that's Redline and not Mobil 1)....

2. A nice improvement you will notice.

3. If it needs hardlines (could because of salt) then do lines because losing your brakes isn't fun for any reason. And the stock rubber lines are now 14 years old, and I'm sure in less than ideal shape.

4. Don't bother with that much money. For a lot less you can rebuild your arms with new bushings and ball joints.

5. You say it yourself, you aren't really feeling this one. Everyone likes more power, but the headers you'd get for $400 wouldn't be very good... and you need to tune the car to make the most of them.

6. Looking at your list, I think it's sway bars and/or brake lines.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Thank you Sam, exactly the input I was looking for. Basically a nudge in the right direction. I agree with the brake lines and sway bars!

The brake lines would be nice because I could rebuild the calipers since i have to bleed it all anyways. Prolly the best preventative maint. option.

Is there anything small I'm missing? Does anything crap out after 90k miles that I haven't done already?

I've heard of pvc valves needing replaced or a catch can, but I dont know anything about them or where they are at. I know the pvc shoots extra oil into your intake and can hurt the engine over time... or something. What's your take on these?

Also what about pushrods? Are they something I should replace for chromoly or is that a big ol' crack the bean open and add lifters and springs too kinda thing?

I'm looking for anything I can replace with my current skill level that will make this thing do 250k miles!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A catch can isn't a bad idea, they do suck some oil into the intakes. Pushrods? If they ain't bent already the likely won't be unless you overrev it somehow. Basic maintenance will take a car a long way. One customer of mine has 2 LT1 cars. The baby has 240k, the other one (1996 1LE she bought brand new) has 415k on it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

I opted for Russell SS lines, ebc yellow stuff pads and dimpled/sloted rotors. Nothing's nicer than being able to stop efficiently

Quick Reply: Help me decide my next upgrade purchase!