Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro ls3 a/c bracket location.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 camaro ls3 a/c bracket location.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had a solved issue with a ls3 and a ctsv accessory drive. I have vintage air and would like to keep the sanden compressor low, but I dont have too. Is there a bracket or Mod I can do, so I can keep the location or is it better have gotten the corvette accessory drive. Also my alternator which is low also barely fits and is very close to the frame. Is there a smaller alternator that would give me better room. Thanks in advance for the valuable information. Jason
Old 02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Typically people will cut a clearance notch and weld in plate in the crossmember if there is a clearence problem with low mount alternators or compressors. The only off low mount sanden compressor mount is the Alan grove, but it does not look like he offers one to match the CTS-V/ Corvette spacing. There are several companies that offer high mount Sanden compressor brackets, Kwik, Holley, Dirty Dingo are the ones that come to mind.

You can also look at the official X-body swap FAQ in this forum, since the 67-69 Camaro and 68-74 nova share essentially the same subframe and suspension the accessory fitment is the same.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Restricted User

I have an option. Ill post pics tonight
Old 01-24-2014, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in this as well... Does 4th gen Camaro alternator sit in the same location as 5th gen? Any pics would be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey MisterD. Not sure why you dug up this old thread to ask about the alternator, but to answer your question the 4th and 5th gen Camaro alternator brackets are different. I suspect the 5th gen Camaro alternator sticks out further because the upper mounting hole is moved outboard compared to the 4th gen. However I don't know if the alternator hole is also moved outboard to compensate.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is a picture of holleys ac bracket

And a self made one , 2 small metal brackets and a couple 3/8s galvinized pipe pieces for spacers
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Hey MisterD. Not sure why you dug up this old thread to ask about the alternator, but to answer your question the 4th and 5th gen Camaro alternator brackets are different. I suspect the 5th gen Camaro alternator sticks out further because the upper mounting hole is moved outboard compared to the 4th gen. However I don't know if the alternator hole is also moved outboard to compensate.
Thanks bandit. I really want to keep the alternator low mount in my car but am worried that might not clear the cross member. Thinking that the ls3 would be the better option. I can't cut a notch in my frame since it is already powder coated...

Quick Reply: 69 camaro ls3 a/c bracket location.