Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Could I be crazy?? I have a a question for any LS into Mustang guys out there...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I be crazy?? I have a a question for any LS into Mustang guys out there...

Im building an FFR 33 hot rod and ill get right to the point, I am leaning toward using a T5 and an 8.8 (3.73) rear end behind the LQ9 I am currently building. My build is a very mild build, stock bottom end, Tq V2 cam, minor head work on the stock truck heads, the average bolt on's, and just an ls2 intake for now, just waiting on the machine shop to finish up some work. Should be good for close to 450 which is more than enough for that 2000lb car. I dodnt want to go crazy the first time around with the build so im going to keep it as budget minded as possible. Once I get a feeling for how the car performs with the basics then ill start going on in.

I have yet to read much good about anyone using a t5 behind an ls, but I also have yet to read these facts from anyone whos actually done it. Thier cheep and plentiful so why not try? My thinking is that this is not going to be daily driven, its an extremely light car, and im not pushing a rediculous ammount of power into it on this first build. I dont need short ratios or a huge rear end either to motivate this thing with 400+hp. I poked around the best I could on google and here in the forum search and everyone seems to go right to the T56 as a default but my LQ9 obviously came with no such tranny and id like to avoid shelling out the cash for one if I dont need to.

So are there any LS-Stang guys out there or maybe anyone thats done this with a "lighter than F-Body" vehicle? Any info on durability, feasability, bell housing choices, or what ever please share!

Thanks in advance guys! I know this post is a bit long but my situation dosnt seem to be the most common so I figured I would explain as much as I could.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From everything I have read, the T-5 is just not up to the task.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact is , the trans will only see the torque you can get to the ground. If the vehicle is light and you have street tires, you will likely break traction and limit what the trans sees. Impact loads can also do a number on things. No snap clutch applies would limit this.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a ton of research on using a T-5 in my 2500# Rambler American. I was hoping for a 5 speed with OD, but in the end I found a Jerico DR4 for less than what a built T-5 would run. Have you checked out the G-Force and AstroGear conversions? I found one a few days after getting my Jerico, don't know if this is still available, but it's a killer deal.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I hadnt thought about going with a dog box...ive always just kind of dismissed it as being a way too expensive option but thats really not bad and it would be rowdy in that 33. After reading a little on the t5s more I think the consensus really isthat a stock t5 just wont last at all without being built and id rather not get stranded on a weekend cruise. Looks like its time to buck up and start saving lol

Quick Reply: Could I be crazy?? I have a a question for any LS into Mustang guys out there...