Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 wiring questions. Extending tcs and a led light question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 wiring questions. Extending tcs and a led light question

Hey guys, I have 2 questions. Would appreciate the help, since I am completely a novice in electrical.

1. I would like to extend the traction control switch wires, in the car. I'm moving the switch to a different location. Which wires can I buy to extend the original, and how do you connect them to make them longer.

2 I would like to add a single led light, that shines down on my center console (preferably when I turn my headlights on) Where do I buy this led light, and what do I plug it into?

Please write or point me to the answers if possible. Thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I really don't want to sound condescending but your question indicates that maybe it would be better to have someone do the work for you. You are asking something so basic that it might be dangerous for you to attempt this yourself. When I say "basic" I mean the equivalent of "how do I make my socket wrench tighten rather than loosen bolts?"

Extending wires involves just getting wire of the same size (gauge) as the wires you wish to extend. The TCS switch uses mostly 18 gauge wire but there is one pink power supply wire that is 16 gauge. It is preferable to use different wire colors to distinguish between each (it would be ideal - but impractical - to get wires exactly the same colors as the wires you are extending). You could use all the same color (to save buying multiple rolls of wire) but that's not recommended because even with proper labeling it makes troubleshooting difficult. The TCS switch has pink, black with white, brown with white, and purple with white wires... you're not going to find wire with the white tracer line so solid pink, black, brown, and purple would be good color choices.

Once you have your wire, it's a simple matter of cutting the existing wire and inserting a length of your new wire. You do that either by soldering and covering with heat shrink tubing (or electrical tape if you really must) or by using crimp connectors and a crimping tool.

Adding a light as you describe is fairly simple. You can get a "panel light" that is normally used as an in-dash on/off indicator light from most auto parts stores. If you have trouble finding them locally, you can shop online at a place like wiringproducts.com. They have simple two-wire connections (power and ground) that you can connect to the brown wire (running light power) and the black wire (ground) in the radio harness to have it go on and off with the headlights. Or you can use the gray wire in the same harness for power if you want it to dim and brighten with the dash lights.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Perfect, thank you!

It doesn't sound condescending, and I appreciate looking out for me.
I just wanted to make sure it's as simple as you wrote, and wasn't missing anything.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did the TCS today. Took like 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: 2 wiring questions. Extending tcs and a led light question