General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rack and pinion play

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rack and pinion play

I have a 2000 camaro and there is play in the rack and pinion, I had someone turn the wheel slightly and could see that the play Is coming from the rack and pinion. What I'm wondering, is there a way to adjust the play on them or do I need a new rack and pinion? Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

I had this same issue about a year ago. I replaced the entire rack and pinion and now steering is very solid. The job was a PITA, but there are ways to make it easier.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks coopertone.. I was hoping that I don't have to do that but oh we'll I guess.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine was doing the same thing, i swapped in a new one and its all better. you cant adjust them, just rebuild them but even then you need special tools. They really arent bad to swap out you just need to use a sawzall and cut the driver side bolt because it hits the oil pan when lifting it out. then when you reinstall it just mount the bolt upside down.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you need to bleed air out of the system when swapping out the rack? And if so, how?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Do you need to bleed air out of the system when swapping out the rack? And if so, how?
Elevate the front wheels off the ground by placing the the car on jack stands. Fill the ps reservoir to the "full - cold" line. S-l-o-w-l-y turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock with the engine off. Re-check the ps reservoir's level. Top off if necessary.

Turn the engine on. Check for leaks. Repeat the lock-to-lock turns roughly three times and return the steering wheel to center. Cut off the engine. Check the ps reservoir. Any air in the system should have been purged and turned the ps fluid slightly frothy. When the trapped air is gone, re-check the ps reservoir's level and top off as necessary. Repeat procedure with the engine on until all air is purged from the system. Once you completed this procedure, just check the ps reservoir's cold level periodically to make sure that you're not losing fluid during normal driving.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uneverknow
I have a 2000 camaro and there is play in the rack and pinion, I had someone turn the wheel slightly and could see that the play Is coming from the rack and pinion...
Check the ps rack bushings/clamps before replacing the entire rack. I've had these go bad/loosen up over the years making the steering seem mushy.

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion play