LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE

i have a 95 LT1 camaro seems like use to be auto and got manual swap. well i bought this car of my new neighbor he sold it because he was having some VATS issues but did now what it was so he just simply installed some kind of switch which allowed the car to start with out the key (at that point i had not bypassed VATS yet) but still needed key to unlock steering wheel the car ran perfect for about two weeks he said then one day didn't want to start.

Then i bought the car of him i knew it was the VATS to i bypassed it my key gave a reading of .53 ohms so i bought resistors at radio shack made a 530 resistor by putting in series one 330 ohm resistor and two 100 ohm resistor i installed it and it started car sounded GREAT as it has headers, full exhaust, flowmasters, and K&N cold air intake, took it for a spin it ran perfect! parked it turned it of and on worked again got out of the car came back about 20 min latter nothing....

battery died after trying to start the car over and over again this morning took it to autozone try to get it recharged they said my battery didnt work anymore.
came back changed the bypass to a new one as i thought maybe it burned (cant check it lost my voltmeter) it turned on for about two seconds made ugly sound and died. i couldnt crank it no more cause my battery completly died.

any help please.....
5.7Camaro.95 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some have used a Vats bypass box that inputs signal to the PCM, then some mods to the Theft Deterrent Relay and then it starts, regardless of resistance detected in the keyswitch area.

Tons of threads on this, search to find one for OBD1 for your car. Mine is OBDII
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would have left the bypass alone. It seems the VATS was not the issue. If the security light goes out and it cranks, it is probably not the VATS.

You have duplicate threads on this subject. You need to delete the other one that has no responses.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

like he said if it cranks its not vats on that car........buttttt....if you wanna bypass it find the relay on the pass side next to the glove box behind the dash and just ground the wire that goes to the vats module and no more vats

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE