Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Problems with "NEW" GM LS2 blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with "NEW" GM LS2 blocks

I am looking at buying a brand new LS2 block to build a 402 stroker. After reading this article I am thinking twice about it. They describe all the problems they found with the new GM block, and mention that maybe these “new” GM blocks were actually blocks that got kicked off the assembly line because of problems found with them. Then they are crated up and sold as new. I was wondering if anyone on here has bought a new block and seen any issues with it. I searched the forum and found a thread where a guy bought a new LS2 block and it was cracked. He didn’t find out until after he built it and put it in the car and it was leaking oil.

They said this block looked like it had been dropped! One of the starter bolt holes was out of round.

If I buy one I guess I will still be having the block completely checked over at the machine shop. Which I know should be done anyway but I would think the block would be in better shape than this.

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/p...ls2-part-1-1a/
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a used block then. Itll be cheaper and you will know if it leaked or anything
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I've been trying to educate myself on these engines as I have been contemplating building one. The more I read the more problems I learn about!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I recently purchased a brand new Bare LS3 block, the block does have a lot burs that needed to be clean, other than that everything looks perfect to me.

Quick Reply: Problems with "NEW" GM LS2 blocks