LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355 FINALLY complete, oil recommendations for first change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 355 FINALLY complete, oil recommendations for first change?

Guys the 355 is finally in the car and my wife got the call that she's ready to be delivered. I am still in Afghanistan for a few more months and I want to order the filter and oil for it's first change at 500 miles (this is what I was told to do). I have been told not to go synthetic for the first 2000 miles. What are your recommendations for oil and a filter for the 500 and 2000 mile change?

Thank You!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a new build I always change the oil filter after the first 20 or so miles using a conventional oil and filter.

What oil does your builder recommend? I've seen synthetic being used right off the bat, after 100 miles, after 2000 miles, etc. There's no real standard on when it's okay to use but given the fact that conventional oil has treated me right I usually stick with that for the entire life of the engine.

And do yourself a favor...make sure your wife knows that the absolute WORST thing she can do is baby the car. The first 50 miles are very important in getting the rings to seat properly. She should do several 1/2 to 3/4 throttle pulls right out of the parking lot. Lather, rinse, repeat a few more times. After a few heat cycles, change the oil and beat the **** out of it.

Quick Reply: 355 FINALLY complete, oil recommendations for first change?