Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No sound from speakers using radio or C/D player?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default No sound from speakers using radio or C/D player?

Okay I haven't driven my car very much lately and I took it on a trip for a job interview and just as I left I tried to turn the radio on and no sound. Tried the C/D player and no sound. I'm guessing I'll probably have to replace the head unit? What usually breaks in these that makes them not play sound? It's sounds like it is reading the disk, but no sound comes out. I can scan through the radio, but again no sound. I pulled the bottom right fuse and it's not that because when I pull it out it just turns off the lights and everything to the radio? What is most likely causing this?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you change tracks on the headunit (even tho you can't hear sound do the track numbers change)?

Are you monsoon? if so sounds like something AMP related, pull the spare tire cover off and check the amp. I'm not familiar enough with the monsoon to advise further then that, I pulled my factory radio the day after I bought the car (it wasn't monsoon anyway).
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's best to check the simple things first... the RADIO ACCY fuse (#4 - 25 amp) protects the Monsoon amplifier circuit. Be sure to check it with a tester or replace with a known good fuse. Fuses (especially old ones) can look fine but still be blown.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
can you change tracks on the headunit (even tho you can't hear sound do the track numbers change)?

Are you monsoon? if so sounds like something AMP related, pull the spare tire cover off and check the amp. I'm not familiar enough with the monsoon to advise further then that, I pulled my factory radio the day after I bought the car (it wasn't monsoon anyway).
Yes I can change through the tracks also. Yes it's a monsoon. What does the amp in the spare tire area have to do with the music playing? I always seen it there and never thought about it. I thought it was something aftermarket in there lmao! I might have even unplugged it a long time ago.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Yes I can change through the tracks also. Yes it's a monsoon. What does the amp in the spare tire area have to do with the music playing? I always seen it there and never thought about it. I thought it was something aftermarket in there lmao! I might have even unplugged it a long time ago.
that amp is what supplies the sound to every speaker in the car, if it's fuse is blown (see whitebirds post) then your radio could work fine but have no sound.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
that amp is what supplies the sound to every speaker in the car, if it's fuse is blown (see whitebirds post) then your radio could work fine but have no sound.
Lmao I pulled the spare tire cover plastic and there was the amp laying on the floor of the spare tire area disconnected. Must have came loose and fell and disconnected lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: No sound from speakers using radio or C/D player?