Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need advice on my setup!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on my setup!

You guys have all been pretty helpful so far!
Well, I'm looking for some opinions and horsepower estimates.

Currently, I know for a fact my car has these mods,

Holley 58MM throttle body
42# injectors
Comp Cam (not sure specs on cam, it's got a somewhat mellow idle and pulls 10-12hg of vacuum)
Hardened Pushrods
1.52 Comp Cams Roller Rockers
MSD Optispark
MSD Coil
Crane Cams Ignition
Mid-length headers
F.A.S.T ECU
Vortech V1 S-trim @ 7.5psi according to dyno (non intercooled)

The car also supposedly has internals, but not really sure what kinds as I have never had the motor open while I've owned it. But the motor runs strong and sounds really good, and I believe it most likely DOES have internals like he said it does because whoever owned this car before put a lot of money in it and by the way the motor runs, as well as the fact that it's an older build (probably 25-30k on it) and it still runs like a top even under un-intercooled boost this whole time.

Either way, it was definitely tuned in the past, But I got the car cheap based on the fact that it had no spark. After I had the MSD optispark rebuilt and reinstalled the supercharger it fired right up.

Now, for a while I drove it, and the car pulls really strong. It puts me in the seat good, feels nice and broad, very rev happy, and just a strong running motor period. BUT, there's two things that leave me wondering,

1) It seems to run way rich. You smell fuel on cold starts and when I step on it, it DOES blow some black smoke (fuel) out of the exhaust. And sometimes if im babying the car, after a while it'll start to stutter a little. If I push in the clutch and rev it, it goes away. Almost like it's just loading up and has to be cleaned out, and then it'll run fine. And after a couple gear pull the car will kind of pop and shoot a flame from all the unburnt fuel.

2) I threw the car up on the dyno for 3 pulls since my friends and I were all curious what it made. And I ended up leaving the dyno very disappointed. It made 350/350 with the cutout closed and 360/360 with the cutout open. (On a mustang dyno)

So here's my questions,
Do you think my numbers are so low because of the tune being off? Is it normal to be that rich on a built car?
Would it possibly be because the car was a little heat soaked from the 40min drive to the shop?

ALSO, I just ordered a front mount intercooler. When it gets here I will be installing it. I feel like it will help a lot to drop those intake temps compared to having nothing. What kind of numbers do you think I can see with the intercooler installed and having the car re-tuned?
Should I swap the pulley to the next size smaller to compensate for the pressure drop of the FMIC?

If you took the time to read all this I highly appreciate it, any insight is helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

sounds like it could use a better tune but I dont think you will gain a whole lot and with the intercooler the lower temps will give you some gain too

defiantly get a new tune and try it out again
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Do you think my numbers are so low because of the tune being off? Is it normal to be that rich on a built car?"

You have a FAST system... Why not data log the pulls/street runs, etc, and see what comes up???
Post up the tune file while UR at it....
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I do intend on ordering the cable this week. That's the only reason I haven't gotten a datalog though. I will do a couple pulls as soon as I get the cable in and post them up.

And is there a way of finding out what pistons are in the car by pulling the heads? I'm debating a 2.95 pulley with the FMIC and want to put fresh headgaskets and ARP studs for added safety but don't wanna boost that amount depending on the pistons.

Quick Reply: Need advice on my setup!