Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gonna try to re-wire myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna try to re-wire myself

Hey Guys, I have an 02 WS6. Over a year ago I replaced the head unit and the four main speakers with a sony head unit and kicker q series 6.5"s, along with a cheap amp i got online in a combo package. Back when I had the monsoon, the stock amp had a short in it, and I just kept it unplugged. I let a local stereo shop put the new stuff in, but when I got the car back, the radio would hardly pick up anything, and there is a high pitched buzz that goes up and down with the rpms. I know this is a common issue, but they couldnt track down the problem. from what I understand, they used all the existing wiring to the speakers, they just added my aftermarket amp to the mix, put in the new head unit, and the new speakers. So my factory antenna wasn't picking up hardly anything, so they installed an amplified antenna that sticks to my windshield, but it hardly picks up anything either.

So now i'm thinking somehow my radio reception problem and my speaker buzzing problem could be related to the factory amp, because they said they checked everything else. But they want $100 to do a "factory amp bypass" and I'm tired of sinking money into this. I'm already in over a grand once you factor in the cost of the equipment. I want to try to completely rewire this thing myself. I have very little experience, and if i do it myself I would just skip the whole amp business and just go from the head unit straight to the speakers with whole new wires.

The only problem is I have no idea how to route the wires through the dash through the doors and to the speakers. I have searched here, but can't find any pics of what you remove to get them in the doors.

I don't really care about the amp, because these speakers can't handle near the amount of bass they should considering how much they cost. I just want the BUZZING to STOP!! I've lived with this issue for over a year and desperately want help and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks- Zack
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ground

Might want to start by checking ground connections. I've had buzzing in my speakers from a poor ground connection on an amp...they didn't scrape the paint off correctly like they should have. Maybe try unplugging the antenna from the head unit and see if that helps the buzzing?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the factory wiring, big head ache and don't think it would help.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

TBH, that shop sounds like a bunch of retards, if you UNHOOKED your factory amp, then it must already be bypassed or else you wouldn't have sound at your speakers at all.

So first piece of advise find a new shop.
more indepth answer is, if they wired your aftermarket amp in in place of the factory one there is a good chance they screwed up the wiring as most aftermarket amps (if they even have hi-level inputs) are only four channel amps and the monsoon was a 8 channel (I believe, check the sticky) so there would be quite a few extra unused wires from the factory.

most likely the sound is because they ran a new power cable for the new amp and ran it right along the high level (or RCA if they switched you over to that) path.

rewiring is actually fairly easy in this car for the sail panels pull off the sail panels and rear seat and pull the carpet back from the rear to just in front of the rear seats and run new dedicated speaker wires from the amps location to the sail panel speakers for the front doors you will need to pull the kick panel trim that is below the door (4 screws) and goes up under the sides of the dash, once that is out feel around and you will find the rubber grommet the wires run thru into the doors (unlike some cars i've own there is no connector blocking the path) and feed your new wires thru there and back to your amp. the more important thing is to make sure your HU has front and rear RCA outputs and use them to send the input into the amp (making sure to avoid the power cable as that is where most interference comes from).
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Launching!

thanks for the highly detailed how to Mr Richards. but I probably wouldn't even worry about the amp anymore. I think the head unit would push these good enough. they were rated for 100 watts rms at 4 ohms if I remember correctly. but the amp put out 50 I think, and that was enough to make these kickers pop like they were gonna blow with any amount of bass. something seems wrong.

and seven, thank you for your comments too, but I had this Problem with the old and antenna so I don't think that's it

Quick Reply: Gonna try to re-wire myself