Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very basic wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Red face very basic wiring

Question about 02 F-body. Battery in trunk and factory battery cables are good as lost.

Finally down to fluids and battery for the catfish's revival.
Grounding is complete at battery to frame, frame to motor, and harness grounds.

Problem is with my positive side. How does current ENTER the harness to power the car?
Where all does the + battery terminal connect directly? One fat cable from + terminal to starter post, check. One cable from + terminal to rear ALTERNATOR post? Another to distribution block post?

If I got that right, can any of those connections share the same cable? Using overkill 0 awg so it'll flow serious current. Should it work if I run a single 0 awg from battery + terminal, along chassis to engine bay, split the cable to 3 parallel cables: 1 to starter, 1 to ALT post, 1 to distribution post?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats sounds like a good plan. You prob dont have to go to the alternator though. Main 0 awg wire to starter, heavy (8 awg) to power distribution, Prob dont have to go to alternator unless the main power wire has been removed
Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Alternator must connect rear post to distribution block post (fuse boxes on drivers side of engine bay). That'll push current INTO the harness and complete the circuit.

Battery must connect to alternator post OR distribution block post. That'll complete battery to alt circuit to recharge battery. Also powers harness when engine is off.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i did mine to keep it simple i just cut the end off of the positive wire that went to the battery up front re ran it so it was hidden and then just connected the new wire to that and ran it to the back

Quick Reply: very basic wiring