Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch lost pressure just but sitting in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch lost pressure just but sitting in the garage

So my car started grinding when going between almost all gears up until 5th starting 2 months ago. Clutch felt fine, just would grind. As soon as I started noticing it, I stopped driving it and had it sitting in my garage ever since not being driven. I go to start my car today and notice that my clutch has 90% play and feels like only the last 10% is moving the clutch but I can not get it into any gear at all.

What would cause this?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

look for a fuild leak, the slave or master are probally dmaged and leaked all the brake fluid out that works the clutch
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by studderin
look for a fuild leak, the slave or master are probally dmaged and leaked all the brake fluid out that works the clutch
So the brake fluid in my master cylinder is full. There is a smaller reservoir to the right of the master cylinder reservoir that says to fill to the step and that one is almost empty. I'm assuming that is for the slave cylinder?

Also I did not notice any leaks in the engine bay and the carpet under my car is still white.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

The big reservoir you checked sounds like your "brakes" reservoir. The smaller one white one is the clutch reservoir which sounds empty which you prob have a leak. Check under car by bellhousing or by clutch pedal under dash against the firewall for leak.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I don't really see anything, but it has been sitting for a few months I guess. Maybe it's time I should take it in to get it checked.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I think that would be a good idea to take it to a mechanic you trust, the clutch fluid reservoir holds brake fluid which is clear and you said you have white carpet under your car, which is why the leak isn't visibly apparent, but If you look at your bellhousing where it mates to the engine oil pan you will probably see signs of where the clutch (brake) fluid has been leaking out.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lizeec
Yes I think that would be a good idea to take it to a mechanic you trust, the clutch fluid reservoir holds brake fluid which is clear and you said you have white carpet under your car, which is why the leak isn't visibly apparent, but If you look at your bellhousing where it mates to the engine oil pan you will probably see signs of where the clutch (brake) fluid has been leaking out.
Hmm, the fluid in that reservoir definitely was darker than clear..

Quick Reply: Clutch lost pressure just but sitting in the garage