Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help With GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With GTO

Hi everyone, I've been browsing the forum since I got into gtos and vettes and now I registered because I may buy one tomorrow! I found a killer deal on one, 77k miles, stick, black. For 12k. My only problem right now is finding a mechanic that can come with me to look at it, and I don't know how to drive stick very well (ill learn). Pretty much I need a mechanic to one with me, but regardless I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Anything in specific I should look for? It's in a dealership right now, and it's only a 30 minute drive. I don't want to buy a gto that's been beat to hell and raced around. Is it hit or miss? I was told at clean title. Sorry for so much text, I'm just trying to provide as much I formation as I know. So yeah, anything I should look for? Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

couple things to look for are tire wear and leaks though if this dealer was smart it took care of it or cleaned everything and replaced it with new tires.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

What year?

Check for evidence of strut rub (wear on the inside of the front tires), sagging rear end, split stitching on the leather seats, etc.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Sometimes even without a mechanic it is always a great idea to start it up (How well did it start... any odd noises other than typical drivetrain noise? Let it warm up.) look for leaks and odd burning smells from the engine. Then take it for a drive, listen for any pops, grinding, etc.. when turning the wheel. Accelerate and decelerate from time to time seeing if there was any again... noises or hesitation or excessive brake fade. If any of these issue arise (& are minor enough to fix) sometimes buy brining them to the dealers attention they may fix it just so they can get rid of it... if they feel you are serious about buying it. If they don't like how thorough you appear to be in checking it out, that may mean they are trying to hide something. FYI: Some dealerships may actually let you take the car to a qualified shop and have them "Quick Inspect" it for you, does not hurt to ask.

Also, I don't know how you feel about Auto Trans vehicles but it is unlikely that an Auto trans muscle cars will have been as abused a std. trans car, Modern day Auto's are very good and are not really as slow as people make them out to be... believe me I know. (I actually hate most auto trans vehicles before 2004.) Since about that time most auto trans vehicles have stepped up in performance. (This includes the GTO, Mustang, Camaro and "HEMI" cars all have good Auto trans on them now.)

I recently saw a race between two Ford Mustangs 3-Valve one with a Std. Transmission with nothing more than a Cat-back exhaust and the other was an Auto Trans. with a K&N CAI and Cat-back with an X-pipe.> want to take a guess as to which one won? .... you got it the Auto trans with only about 320 hp vs. the std. with est. 305-310 hp. Granted, mabye not by much but still.

* I have actually passed on a 2002 Pontiac WS6 Trans Am and a 2001 Ford/ SVT Cobra just because I was picky and decided that the previous owners ran the crap out of them, the restoration alone would have been $$$ I really did not have.

Good luck.

Last edited by brnmw; 03-12-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Auto correct spelled Camano and not Camaro!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Check for all the aforementioned items, and check to see how the clutch feels and the shifter.

For those things, I would bring someone who is experienced in manuals (in GTOs would be a plus!) And, to check valvetrain noise, def ask if you can bring it somewhere for a quick check. LSX engines are a noisy bunch, and they can both make you think something is wrong by sounding different than your previous car and also mask a noise you arent used to hearing when something is wrong.

and by all means.... CARFAX IT!!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Before you drive the car, ask the dealer for the carfax. Was it a rental?

How many owners? Did the last owner sell the car within 6 months? If yes, there is a problem.

Read the history for any body repairs, warranty repairs and number of oil changes, transmission fluid changes if A/T and rear differential fluid changes.

In otherwords, does the car history show good or bad maintenance.

If the carfax is ok, drive the GTO to see if it has good throttle response. If respose is slugguish, forget about it.

Quick Reply: Help With GTO