Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 stuck in Reverse, but shifter moves..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 stuck in Reverse, but shifter moves..HELP!

I have a 2003 C5 and here's whats going on:

I can put it in reverse and it will move normally as I let the clutch out. But once I put it in first gear, it wont move at all....it stalls out if I let clutch out. (Like its stuck between gears???) If I position shifter to "Neutral" Position, it moves like its in reverse as I let the clutch out....Anyone experiance this before??? I took shifter box apart and it looks ok. It does this with either the stock shifter or MGW shifter insalled.....

Last edited by winger4800; 03-14-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is severely bent or broken inside. Reverse has it's own shift fork. It is possible that if broken or bent you could be in 1-6 and rev at the same time.

Sorry to say it but at a minimum the tail housing has to come off. This can be done while it's in the car but it's not easy. Reverse is the last gear on the main shaft followed by 5th then 6th.

Front to back it's 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, main case, 6th, 5th and reverse. Note the idler gear bolted to the tail housing. You will need a set of snap and lock ring pliers to make it not a pain in the butt. The tail housing is really pretty easy just make sure you pay attention the the exact order of things on the main shaft and counter shaft. Note the counter shaft is two pieces and the tail housing piece can be removed with the tail housing off.

Edit: Noticed it's a C5.........not so easy to work on.....has to be removed.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took entire shifter box out and reached in there to check the actual shift rod....it feels connected. I did notice the end of the shaft swivels pretty wildly, but I was told thats normal since it has a swivel joint on the end of it....

What you describe sounds about right...cause if I play around with it for a minute I can finally get it into first gear...and it will drive thru all the gears just fine....but once I put it into reverse....thats when it acts up.....

Thanks! (For being the bearer of bad news lol)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling it out does suck but that's a pretty simple fix. My trans was so jacked up. $1200 in parts were needed. But my 1-6 were not doing well. Nor reverse.

Quick Reply: C5 stuck in Reverse, but shifter moves..HELP!