Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Sway Bars (Prep?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Sway Bars (Prep?)

Hi guys,

So I put on some Strano hollow front and rear adj sway bars on my 01 Z28 recently. They only come in black and I really want them red.

So what kind of preparation should I do to paint these bad boys.

I figured light wet sand, red duplicolor? (How many coats and how long to dry?)

And Clearcoat? (How many coats, how long to dry?)

Anything else you would like to add or advise?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took some sand paper dry and scuffed and smoothed it out pretty good, primer with a good coat and took my time painting it. Granted I just used a black and not red. Take as many coats as you are comfortable with. Clear I did a couple coats to where I could see it all glossy. I let everything dry for 30+ minutes if not longer. No rush to have it done so the more patience the better it might look.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

1- good clean with degreaser
2- second cleaning with soap and water ,a good rinse and let dry
3- 2 coats of primer (spray paint type) will leave a nice gray surface easier to work with.
4 - 3 to 4 coats of your red paint , leaving 15-20 minutes between layers. avoid dripping applying light coats
5- let dry at least 2 hours to be sure
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

you should be fine scuffing them up with scotch brite. If they are painted use gray if powdercoated use red. No priming is necessary unless you are trying to fill some imperfections or you have some bare metal showing. get good coverage hard to say how many coats, it all depends on what paint you use. Same with clear. Follow the instructions for the clear.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
I just took some sand paper dry and scuffed and smoothed it out pretty good, primer with a good coat and took my time painting it. Granted I just used a black and not red. Take as many coats as you are comfortable with. Clear I did a couple coats to where I could see it all glossy. I let everything dry for 30+ minutes if not longer. No rush to have it done so the more patience the better it might look.
Originally Posted by 1964_442
1- good clean with degreaser
2- second cleaning with soap and water ,a good rinse and let dry
3- 2 coats of primer (spray paint type) will leave a nice gray surface easier to work with.
4 - 3 to 4 coats of your red paint , leaving 15-20 minutes between layers. avoid dripping applying light coats
5- let dry at least 2 hours to be sure
Originally Posted by newman2ng
you should be fine scuffing them up with scotch brite. If they are painted use gray if powdercoated use red. No priming is necessary unless you are trying to fill some imperfections or you have some bare metal showing. get good coverage hard to say how many coats, it all depends on what paint you use. Same with clear. Follow the instructions for the clear.
Yea these bars are brand new so no imperfections, should I still prime it?

Would the whole process go smoother if I did so?

Also what red spray paint do you guys recommend - Duplicolor? Rustoleum?

Quick Reply: Paint Sway Bars (Prep?)