Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2011 cts-v 6 speed manual Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 cts-v 6 speed manual Help!

Hi guys I'm new my first post.

Just bought 2011 CTS-V, six speed manual two days ago. Was getting on the freeway tonight quickly shifting from first to second to third. When all of a sudden third gear will no longer engage. All other gears works fine. But when you shift to third. It just revs the motor with no hook up to the clutch transmission etc. any idea what it might be, The car only has 5000 miles and is completely under warranty. But now I'm worried I might've bought a lemon

Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it have an aftermarket shifter or shifter with engagement stops? They may have moved and keeping the shifter from full engagement? (does it seem like the 3rd gear throw is the same as 1, 5, and is 2,4,6 longer?

otherwise it Sounds like you may have torn the engagement teeth off the gear. The TR6060 synchro/engagement teeth are a lot smaller, but more numerous than the T56. The shifts are easier, but a missed shift is more likely to shear all the smaller teeth.

Get it to the warranty repair ASAP as you may have metal chunks in the trans that will continue the carnage if not treated.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike is right, of course.

The TR6060 is a great trans, you may have just been unlucky. Get that thing into warranty. As long as they rebuild it well and you don't miss too many shifts you'll be happy with that car for a long time.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickmnm
Hi guys I'm new my first post.

Just bought 2011 CTS-V, six speed manual two days ago. Was getting on the freeway tonight quickly shifting from first to second to third. When all of a sudden third gear will no longer engage. All other gears works fine. But when you shift to third. It just revs the motor with no hook up to the clutch transmission etc. any idea what it might be, The car only has 5000 miles and is completely under warranty. But now I'm worried I might've bought a lemon

Your help is greatly appreciated
I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Please keep us updated on the issue and how the dealership handles the repairs. Feel free to contact us privately but please include your VIN#, name, situation, contact information, dealership, and mileage. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Quick Reply: 2011 cts-v 6 speed manual Help!