Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

can you paint door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you paint door panels?

ok im converting my tan interior to all black, I was wondering if I can just paint the door panels black, the vinyl and carpet parts are tan now?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried every method and plastic spray out there for years and have found that this works best for me.
Plan A
-Go to local paint supply and buy 1 pint of Sem brand vinyl/plastic paint. Color code is 1501. It is a satin finish, don't want gloss in my opinion. It looks cheesy.
-Buy adhesion promoter in aerosol can, same brand.
-1 red scotch bright.

Degrease handles THOROUGHLY and I mean thoroughly. All of those years of Armour All and greasy hands will show their past. Let dry and scuff well all over with scotch bright and wipe down with some sort of degreaser or just soap and water. Let dry and spray with adhesion promoter then spray color. It dries fast and is easy to work with. It will last a long time this way and that pint goes a long way. Do all plastic trim this way. You can purchase the paint in aerosol, just will not look no where as good as out of a spray gun, nor can you cover anything larger than the handles and look uniform when you spray.

Plan B
-half *** it and your interior will look like some Ricer did it.

Hope this helps all.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

add a can of the plastic prep to that comment above and thats the best your gonna get. wipe down the panels with the cleaner before painting or wet the scotch brite with it and scuff, then hose off with water.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
I've tried every method and plastic spray out there for years and have found that this works best for me.
Plan A
-Go to local paint supply and buy 1 pint of Sem brand vinyl/plastic paint. Color code is 1501. It is a satin finish, don't want gloss in my opinion. It looks cheesy.
-Buy adhesion promoter in aerosol can, same brand.
-1 red scotch bright.

Degrease handles THOROUGHLY and I mean thoroughly. All of those years of Armour All and greasy hands will show their past. Let dry and scuff well all over with scotch bright and wipe down with some sort of degreaser or just soap and water. Let dry and spray with adhesion promoter then spray color. It dries fast and is easy to work with. It will last a long time this way and that pint goes a long way. Do all plastic trim this way. You can purchase the paint in aerosol, just will not look no where as good as out of a spray gun, nor can you cover anything larger than the handles and look uniform when you spray.

Plan B
-half *** it and your interior will look like some Ricer did it.

Hope this helps all.
I have done PLAN A... Several times and it works!!! The SEM brand vinyl paint is pretty amazing... IF you do it right. Follow those steps!

Quick Reply: can you paint door panels?