Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fixing and painting over a dent

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixing and painting over a dent

This is in regards to a 2008 GMC Sierra. It looks like the bumper was hit by a baseball or something of that nature, so the dent isn't big. I want to paint the chrome section of the bumper to match the truck and was wondering the process of doing this and fixing the dent. I plan to sand down the chrome, but should I bondo over the sanded section, or can I use a high build primer to "fill" the dent. Just looking to get feedback on this as I have never done bodywork before.

thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

all the chrome will need to be stripped off. paint will not stick to it. then prime it with an epoxy primer fix the dent then prime the whole bumper with 2k primer. sand and paint. you may wanna check if that bumper is available in a painted version, that would save alot of time and effort.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is true on checking for the painted version. I beleive the painted versions come on HD's which would be a whole new project. This year, the all terrain edition is all painted, so maybe that will be the correct bumper. I read else where that sanding the chrome down (not stripping it off completely) would be enough to make a primer stick to it with an adhesion promoter. I'll look into all routes though, thank you
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

I would personally grind the whole bumper with a 36 grit disc, followed by 80 grit, then 120 and finish in 220. Try to pound out most the dent from the backside, then epoxy etch prime the bumper. Next rough up the dent with 80grit and bodyfill it if needed. High build primer, block sand, sealer primer, and then paint.

Quick Reply: fixing and painting over a dent