Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

no switched polarity on driver dr window

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default no switched polarity on driver dr window

i have an 01 camaro convertible i swapped over from a v6 to v8 over the winter. last fall i had an issue with the passenger side window going up and down (not at all) it was the switch. so i got a new switch, finished the swap and the cars running now. but i lost my driver side window control. i know it's not the motor itself *bypassed the switch to roll the window up)

when i put a volt meter to the plug for the motor i get 4v to roll up. nothing at all rolling down.

so i took the negative of my volt meter and put it where the ground is for the window harness. i got 11.8 volts to go up but nothing going down.

i've tried two switch's, adding a different ground wire to the switch, swapping 30amp relays in the dash, and can't get anything.

so who know's what the deal is here?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

I'd get a wiring diagram and check the voltage coming in/out at the switch harness and then the voltage coming in/out at the driver's side express down module behind the dash. That should isolate the problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Before you start throwing more parts at the problem, try the following testing steps at the driver's window switch with a multimeter or test light:

- Test for continuity to ground from pin A (black wire)
- Test for continuity to ground from pin B (light blue wire)
- Test for continuity to ground from pin C (tan wire)
- Test for continuity to ground from pin D (dark blue wire)
- Test for continuity to ground from pin E (gray wire)
If no ground on the black wire at pin A, fix the ground.
If no ground on the other pins/wires, replace the switch.

- Turn on ignition and test for power at pin F (brown wire)
If no power, test for power at the socket of the 30A circuit breaker in the fuse panel. If power there, replace the circuit breaker. If no power, you'll have to get into testing the BCM Retained Accessory Power circuit.

- With ignition on, press left switch to UP and test for power at pin D (dark blue) and ground at pin E (gray).
If not, replace switch. If correct, problem is with express down module or the wiring between the switch and the module.

- With ignition on, press left switch to DOWN and test for power at pin E (gray) and ground at pin D (dark blue)
If not, replace switch. If correct, test express down module.

Express Down Module:
With ignition on and window switch not pressed, pin A (dark blue) should show ground, pin C (brown) should show power, pin D (brown) should show ground, and pin E (gray) should show ground.
If not, there is a break in the wiring between the switch and the module.

With ignition on and left window switch UP, pin A (dark blue) should change to power.
With ignition on and left window switch DOWN, pin A (dark blue) should show ground, pin D (brown) and pin E (gray) should both show power.
If not, replace the express down module.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

well we got it figured out! here's the culprit!

got one for $25 out of a salvage yard and i'm good to go!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the express down module located under the dashboard on the firewall near the pedals? I'm having some power window switch problems and will use the procedure above, just curious what your issue was.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 10 Year

yes that's the express down module. it blew out the brown diode. plugged in the used one and everything works great. and the windows are actually fairly fast compared to my trans am i had. located right by the gas pedal. i had function on the passenger window but nothing on the driver side window. so today at work we were putting in type R alpine speakers throughout the whole car and we decided to search through what whitebird00 posted and that's what we came up with. i'm stoked that this car came together so well! thanks to everybody for the help. i'll post a picture of the v6 vert that's been swapped over

Quick Reply: no switched polarity on driver dr window